Brunello juice bucket is arriving too soon!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ohio Bob

Reaction score
I’m picking up a Brunello juice bucket Thursday morning. I expected it next week. Unfortunately this weekend is family day at the university where my two daughters attend. So if I pitch the yeast Friday, I won’t be able to do any punch downs or stirring until late Sunday.

So this may work out anyway. Brunello is known to be a slow, extended maceration ferment. So I’m thinking when I pick up the bucket, I’ll drop in the skin packs I bought from Label Peelers, add in a half bag of dried elderberries, Colorpro, Llalzyme EX, and put it in the refrigerator. Late Sunday I’ll take the bucket out of the fridge, put in the wine cellar (currently about 65F). Monday, after it gets to pitching temperature I’ll add the yeast which was started Sunday as well (using the now-so-famous @winemaker81 protocol, he’s had it tattooed on his forearm).

I’m thinking of forgoing any Kmeta since the bucket is either being held cold or being pitched with a yeast starter. Also going to be adding MLF bacteria, VP41, and if that’s roughly day 4 or 5, I don’t want Kmeta there.

My only thought is maybe 3 days of refrigerator maceration isn’t enough. Thoughts?

Back