Clear tubing maintenance protocol

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmd2k1

Reaction score
I'm curious what folks are doing to clean/maintain their clear tubing used in your wine making operation.

My current protocol: Prior to use I rinse with a Star San solution -- then after use, rinse with hot water -- "fling" it a couple times to remove excess water then just store horizontally.

I do notice that the clear tubing has gotten cloudy over the months.

Cheers!

I try not to let the tubing sit around uncleared for more than an hour, especially for reds. I have a jet blaster attached to my sink faucet. It’s meant for cleaning bottles but it works on tubing as well. Then hang it on 2 hooks so it drains.

When I have several carboys to clean, I get out the sump pump cleaner (you can search here for a pic). I’ll coil the tubing and submerge it in the cleanser. My tubing is also cloudy. After about 5 years of use I splurge for new tubing.

1) rinse with hot water
2) if part of equipment run a cleaner through like Straight A or PBW
3) rinse with water
4) hang it from a nail in the ceiling
5) most tubing is replaced at the start of the year, ,,, or when a film exists. Tubing is cheap

Last edited:
Same as my general equipment cleaning protocol -
- Soak in peroxy (at least 10-15 minutes, longer if stubborn stains)
- Rinse in citric or tartaric acid. Citric is cheaper but I don't want it in my (grape) wine, so I'll usually do a water rinse after.
- Optional tartaric + KMBS/K-meta rinse if I want it squeaky clean/sanitized.

For tubing I will typically use my pump to circulate the various solutions through. If it's a gravity racking cane/tube, I'll just 'rack' an appropriate amount of each cleaning solution.

Run some One Step through it soon after use, rinse with hot water, whip it around to remove excess water, hang it over a hook to dry.
This is what I do. I will rack One Step from container to container so it's passing through the tubing + racking cane repeatedly.

@Johnd posted a tip a few years back -- using a weight to pull a string through the tubing, tie cloth (like a piece of old t-shirt) to the other end, and pull it through the tube.

Note that the tubing will darken over time. As long as it's flexible, it's still fine.

Back