Corks for extended ageing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

First250

Reaction score
If I want to age some wine longer than 2 years, which corks should I use? I have a hand corker . Thanks.

We have a Gilda hand corker and use #8X1¾"corks....we have some wines well over 2½ years old with no leakage....have never had a leaky cork.

The #9x1¾" corks were a problem with our Gilda, some wouldn't go in all the way...so have been using the #8's with no complaints.

LD Carlson's is the name on the bags.....George's will work perfectly... use the 1¾" length for long storage....at least that is what I have been lead to believe.

I have never used that hand corker so Im leary on the #9 corks as some hand corkers may not handle it well but Georges perfect agglomerate #9 corks have a special coating on them which make it easier for hand corkers and work fine for the Portuguese hand corker, definitely go with the 1 3/4" corks though.

I won't go into details, but based on what I learned at the LD retailer conference and from Mosti, stick with my "Perfect" corks. They are some of the best corks on the market and will keep your wine for a long time, at least 6 years (from personal experience).

As an aside, my corks do NOT work with the Gilda corker. That is why I do not carry them.4 of the5 corkers i carrywill work with my cork. The one exception is the plunger, which is a cheap impersonator of a corker. I sell it, but do NOT recommend it to anyone.Edited by: geocorn

Great information ! Thanks. I bought some of your 1-3/4" corks to use with my All Juice Castel de Papa . Although I haven't bottled it yet, I have bottled using the 1-1/2" with my hand corker andusing the corker and those corks ,I dip (not soak )the corks in k-meta prior to corking.

Nice to know that with the 1-3/4 I canagesomeof my betterwine longer than 2 years!

Last weekend I visited the Old Goat Winery in Cartersville, GA for the first time.I picked up the necessaries to make my first fruit wine. I mentioned you and FVW. As soon as I mentioned your name her (Marlene)faced beamed and she said, 'Sure! We know George!' It's a small world, George, and you are a positive force in it . Thanks again!

The Old Goat Winery and I started at about the same time. In the early days, we helped each other out, unfortunately, I haven't talked with them in several years. Glad to hear they are doing well.

Latest posts

Back