Finally! 2024 Winemaking Season Begins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update: I got the Syrah pressed yesterday and the Prosser Malbec crushed - Muse yeast and nutrients added. Syrah pressed out at -1 Brix. I'm letting the Syrah settle overnight and I'll move it under oak this morning. I already inoculated with bacteria (Oenos) during primary fermentation.

Lots of other wine activity today:

Chardonnay, add Beta bacteria (50 gal tank) - this will become Phat Elvis - image of last year's bottle and label below.
Viognier 50 gal tank
Tres Bella (equal parts of Marsanne, Roussane and Viognier) 50 gal tank
Tempranillo 100 gal tank (2 oak staves) - CH16 added as a co-innoculation during primary
Mourvèdre 50 gal (1 oak) - CH16 added as a co-innoculation during primary

I'll have enough left over to make some red blends, which will go into 30 gallon tanks, with oak. I'll keep the whites separate to blend back right before bottling whites next year.

2023 Phat Elvis Revised.jpgIMG_1582.jpegIMG_1581.jpeg

Update:

Got everything transferred that was planned. All in, 450 gallons of wine transferred. Long day. See pics of empties...

Pinot Noir is close and probably ready for pressing by mid week. It's supposed to be nice Tuesday and Wednesday and raining again starting Thursday for the rest of the weekend. Carménère is almost to half mark and Malbec is still in lag phase. Muse yeast, pitched for the Malbec, has a longer lag than most yeast that I use. I would say the Malbec is still 10-12 days from pressing, maybe longer with this cooler weather.

I'm drinking a 2021 Pinot Noir from Eola-Amity Hills out of Oregon. It's delicious. I used Harmony yeast. Too bad that yeast isn't made anymore...

Pics:

Pumping Chardonnay.
Tempranillo gross lees
Empties #1
Empties #2
Punching Carménère

IMG_3351.jpegIMG_3353.jpeg

IMG_3354.jpegIMG_3355.jpegIMG_3350.jpeg

Latest posts

Back