Finally! 2024 Winemaking Season Begins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update: I got the Syrah pressed yesterday and the Prosser Malbec crushed - Muse yeast and nutrients added. Syrah pressed out at -1 Brix. I'm letting the Syrah settle overnight and I'll move it under oak this morning. I already inoculated with bacteria (Oenos) during primary fermentation.

Lots of other wine activity today:

Chardonnay, add Beta bacteria (50 gal tank) - this will become Phat Elvis - image of last year's bottle and label below.
Viognier 50 gal tank
Tres Bella (equal parts of Marsanne, Roussane and Viognier) 50 gal tank
Tempranillo 100 gal tank (2 oak staves) - CH16 added as a co-innoculation during primary
Mourvèdre 50 gal (1 oak) - CH16 added as a co-innoculation during primary

I'll have enough left over to make some red blends, which will go into 30 gallon tanks, with oak. I'll keep the whites separate to blend back right before bottling whites next year.

2023 Phat Elvis Revised.jpgIMG_1582.jpegIMG_1581.jpeg

Update:

Got everything transferred that was planned. All in, 450 gallons of wine transferred. Long day. See pics of empties...

Pinot Noir is close and probably ready for pressing by mid week. It's supposed to be nice Tuesday and Wednesday and raining again starting Thursday for the rest of the weekend. Carménère is almost to half mark and Malbec is still in lag phase. Muse yeast, pitched for the Malbec, has a longer lag than most yeast that I use. I would say the Malbec is still 10-12 days from pressing, maybe longer with this cooler weather.

I'm drinking a 2021 Pinot Noir from Eola-Amity Hills out of Oregon. It's delicious. I used Harmony yeast. Too bad that yeast isn't made anymore...

Pics:

Pumping Chardonnay.
Tempranillo gross lees
Empties #1
Empties #2
Punching Carménère

IMG_3351.jpegIMG_3353.jpeg

IMG_3354.jpegIMG_3355.jpegIMG_3350.jpeg

So, I don’t post on here very often - if at all in my 3-4 years being on here - but, I have thoroughly enjoyed, and appreciated all of the wisdom and knowledge from all of you so thank you for always guiding so many of us.

I live in the Southwest burbs of Chicago, so growing my own grapes means it would have to be some type of hybrid : I have Frontenac grapes, not a ton of vines as this is a backyard garden, only a handful. This past season was a challenging one as we had a LOT of rain back in the Spring which affected production, and then - as others on here have conveyed: frustration with birds and squirrels…smh…man….

That said, I ended up with 1/3 the amount of grapes I harvested back in 2023, disappointing indeed.

So, to compensate, on the Saturday after Labor Day I went to a popular Italian food market in the Chicago area called Caputo’s as they had just received a large shipment of various California grapes. I don’t see much about Barbera on here, so I decided to grab 2 lugs to combine with my limited amount of Frontenac. I didn’t have the opportunity to crush anything right away, so I bagged them all and froze them until I had time.

Ended up with roughly 110-115 lbs of grapes in total.
Sept 27th was crush day, and I had 2 6-gallon buckets ready to go, and for extra flavor/complexity I tossed in some black cherries and Black Plums.

Luckily, I was able to split the total between both buckets evenly getting about 4 1/2 gallons of must in each bucket. Tossed the K-Meta in and called it a night since it was already 2am.

So, the next morning - the 28th - I measured both buckets, and - interestingly - there were slight variations between each bucket, but not much:
Bucket 1 - let’s call it : 25% brix, pH 3.38, TA 7.5
Bucket 2 : 25% brix, pH 3.26, TA 7.2
I assumed the additions of the cherries/plums affected one bucket more than the other.

I mixed sugar with 1 16oz bottle of purified drinking water - and after cooling dumped that into the bucket - and did that for each bucket. In addition to that, I added 1/2 tsp of Potassium Bicarbonate to help raise pH & lower some of the acidity.

Checked numbers later that day and had:
Bucket 1: 25% brix, pH 3.42, TA 7.0
Bucket 2: 25% brix, pH 3.35, TA 6.7
Added Pectic Enzyme, powdered tannins, and some Fermaid K to both buckets

Next morning, the 29th, I started to inoculate the Yeast, a packet of EC1118 for each bucket.
Followed instructions and then pitched them in. Gave it a day, and Monday night performed the first “punch down” around 10pm.

Tuesday, 10/1, in afternoon, decided to check #s again:
Bucket 1: 18% brix, pH 3.37, TA 6.9, temp 74*
Bucket 2: 18% brix, pH 3.0, TA 6.6, temp 74*
Concern about drop in pH to both buckets settles in, though drop in acidity eases that some.

Wednesday morning 10/2, tossed in some Fermaid O to both buckets:
Bucket 1: 14% brix, pH 3.39, TA 6.9, Temp 73*
Bucket 2: 14% brix, pH 3.32, TA 6.6, Temp 73*

Just worried about punching down over next few days. Things settled down and not much activity by Sunday night 10/5:
Bucket 1: 8% brix (which I found out is 1.03 SG), pH 3.46, TA 6.8
Bucket 2: 8% brix, pH 3.44, TA 6.5
Decided to press by hand, had a 5-gallon carboy and a 1-gallon jug ready to go.
Not gonna lie: a tad disappointed that I was only able to net what I got, and then knowing that when I rack off the gross lees, I will be lucky to have 4 Gallons probably. Oh well, it’s fun and it’s a learning experience.

If anyone has any thoughts, or suggestions, about how things went, please feel free to chime in as I would like to learn as much as possible.

I look forward to reading everyone’s posts and learning about their journeys as well!! SALUD!!

Attachments

• IMG_0844.jpeg
    IMG_0844.jpeg
    1.7 MB
  • IMG_1987.jpeg
    IMG_1987.jpeg
    1.2 MB
  • IMG_1988.jpeg
    IMG_1988.jpeg
    1.3 MB
  • IMG_1989.jpeg
    IMG_1989.jpeg
    1.3 MB
  • IMG_1990.jpeg
    IMG_1990.jpeg
    785 KB
  • IMG_1991.jpeg
    IMG_1991.jpeg
    779.7 KB
So, I don’t post on here very often - if at all in my 3-4 years being on here - but, I have thoroughly enjoyed, and appreciated all of the wisdom and knowledge from all of you so thank you for always guiding so many of us.

I live in the Southwest burbs of Chicago, so growing my own grapes means it would have to be some type of hybrid : I have Frontenac grapes, not a ton of vines as this is a backyard garden, only a handful. This past season was a challenging one as we had a LOT of rain back in the Spring which affected production, and then - as others on here have conveyed: frustration with birds and squirrels…smh…man….

That said, I ended up with 1/3 the amount of grapes I harvested back in 2023, disappointing indeed.

So, to compensate, on the Saturday after Labor Day I went to a popular Italian food market in the Chicago area called Caputo’s as they had just received a large shipment of various California grapes. I don’t see much about Barbera on here, so I decided to grab 2 lugs to combine with my limited amount of Frontenac. I didn’t have the opportunity to crush anything right away, so I bagged them all and froze them until I had time.

Ended up with roughly 110-115 lbs of grapes in total.
Sept 27th was crush day, and I had 2 6-gallon buckets ready to go, and for extra flavor/complexity I tossed in some black cherries and Black Plums.

Luckily, I was able to split the total between both buckets evenly getting about 4 1/2 gallons of must in each bucket. Tossed the K-Meta in and called it a night since it was already 2am.

So, the next morning - the 28th - I measured both buckets, and - interestingly - there were slight variations between each bucket, but not much:
Bucket 1 - let’s call it : 25% brix, pH 3.38, TA 7.5
Bucket 2 : 25% brix, pH 3.26, TA 7.2
I assumed the additions of the cherries/plums affected one bucket more than the other.

I mixed sugar with 1 16oz bottle of purified drinking water - and after cooling dumped that into the bucket - and did that for each bucket. In addition to that, I added 1/2 tsp of Potassium Bicarbonate to help raise pH & lower some of the acidity.

Checked numbers later that day and had:
Bucket 1: 25% brix, pH 3.42, TA 7.0
Bucket 2: 25% brix, pH 3.35, TA 6.7
Added Pectic Enzyme, powdered tannins, and some Fermaid K to both buckets

Next morning, the 29th, I started to inoculate the Yeast, a packet of EC1118 for each bucket.
Followed instructions and then pitched them in. Gave it a day, and Monday night performed the first “punch down” around 10pm.

Tuesday, 10/1, in afternoon, decided to check #s again:
Bucket 1: 18% brix, pH 3.37, TA 6.9, temp 74*
Bucket 2: 18% brix, pH 3.0, TA 6.6, temp 74*
Concern about drop in pH to both buckets settles in, though drop in acidity eases that some.

Wednesday morning 10/2, tossed in some Fermaid O to both buckets:
Bucket 1: 14% brix, pH 3.39, TA 6.9, Temp 73*
Bucket 2: 14% brix, pH 3.32, TA 6.6, Temp 73*

Just worried about punching down over next few days. Things settled down and not much activity by Sunday night 10/5:
Bucket 1: 8% brix (which I found out is 1.03 SG), pH 3.46, TA 6.8
Bucket 2: 8% brix, pH 3.44, TA 6.5
Decided to press by hand, had a 5-gallon carboy and a 1-gallon jug ready to go.
Not gonna lie: a tad disappointed that I was only able to net what I got, and then knowing that when I rack off the gross lees, I will be lucky to have 4 Gallons probably. Oh well, it’s fun and it’s a learning experience.

If anyone has any thoughts, or suggestions, about how things went, please feel free to chime in as I would like to learn as much as possible.

I look forward to reading everyone’s posts and learning about their journeys as well!! SALUD!!
Sounds like you did everything right and were able to compensate locally for what nature dealt you. Great job! I hope the wine turns out great. I wish I could get a bottle in the future. I don't get to the Chicago area very often but if I get there, I'll contact you. Salud!

Update:

Just punched all fermenting wines: Pinot Noir is nearing the end. I'm going to try holding it off to press until Wednesday or Thursday (preferred) but will do a Brix check tomorrow. Carménère is chugging along and doing well. Malbec, crushed on Saturday, is still in lag phase. There is a sign of fermentation but it is slight. Given that my garage is 58 degrees, this makes sense. Although my garage is heated, I'm purposely keeping the temperature ambient, desiring a slower, longer ferment. I believe this will provide a fuller wine in the end.

My last bin of grapes is going to be ready for pick up on Friday. Nearing the end...

Latest posts

Back