Finally! 2024 Winemaking Season Begins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was in Prosser picking up grapes near by, I went to Mercer winery and tasted their Viognier which has a "bright acidity is balanced by a creamy mouthfeel, added by the portion of wine fermented in our clay amphora". They do this to micro ox the wine to bring the creamy mouthfeel. The wine rep must of saw my expression when she stated that they micro ox a white wine. She did state small dose but did not quanitfy. It was one of the best dry Viognier that I have had. She stated that they bought another clay amphora because of the results. Not saying you should do this ...but you might want to visit thier winery. Perhaps they might share more about the process if you like dry Viognier

Any hint of an acetone (nail polish remover) smell? That is often the first indication that a native ferment is kicking off...
Interesting question. I think so - definitely a strong smell like that. It actually freaked me out and I thought this batch was headed in the wrong direction. If so, it's no big deal as this is an experiment...

Update: Just listened to a call from another vineyard. They called this morning but I was bottling three whites (60 cases) from last year and just listened to the message. Started this morning at 8am and finished tonight at 5pm, just in time for the football game. Mourvèdre is ready for pickup. Looks like I'm driving 7 hours, round trip, tomorrow for 1000 pounds. Leave at 5am. I'll post pics...

Last edited:
Update: I noticed fermentation in the Native today. Good news...
Our first native ferment at the winery was an accident it kicked off fast and intensely and scared my business partner who has not made natural wine before. He was panicking but it turned out fantastic and we have a special bottling of that wine.

You will smell weird things as long as it’s not vinegar you are fine

Latest posts

Back