floor corker

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cubs4ever

Junior
Reaction score
Hi everybody, I just bought a Portugese floor corker today and a bag of Nomacorc corks for a batch of wine I have coming up and was online tonight and saw a product description of the corks I bought as follows:

<TABLE id=Table1 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width=650>
<T>
<TR>
<TD>Product Description:</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Nomacorc Synthetic Wine Corks #9 x 1 1/2". Bag of 30. Nomacorc Synthetic Wine Corks: Synthetic corks will not become tainted, won’t dry out, crumble, break or leak. A great way to provide a barrier to oxidization for wines that will aged for a few years. ****We recommend using the Gilda Single lever corker with these corks**** While some Portugese or Italian floor corkers may work without problems, there is also a chance that the cork will be scored as it is inserted into the bottle, causing leaks.

Has anybody had a problem with a floor corker and the nomacorc corks? Is there anything I can do to prevent a potential problem? Thanks in advance for your help.

John</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Yup, it has happened with 3 of my 4 floor corkers. The only one it does not happen with is the italian corker with brass jaws. I've taken them all apart, de-burred, adjusted, etc, to no avail. Now I use Altec corks, which are both natural and synthetic and have the best properties of both.

http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=4094

I have never used Nomocorc's that I can recall but I do use fully synthetic NeoCorks with my Italian floor corker and have never had a single issue. I use the Altec's as well with no issue. The agglomerate corks are the only ones I ever have an issue with scoring.

I had issues with synthetics and my Italian floor corker. The corker did not score the corks but they did not uniformly insert them, that is, one would seat perfectly and the next might have 1/4-inch sticking above the bottle rim. I tried wetting them and keeping them completely dry--neither worked. I gave up on them and went back to traditional cork and no problems whatsoever.Edited by: Smokegrub

Thanks for the replies. What causes the scoring? Is it the jaws that pinch the cork as it is going in? Could I test a few on an empty bottle and be able to see if I was going to have a problem. I'm not sure if I should get more corks or just use my handheld corker and use these to bottle the current batch. I only purchased a bag of 30 but I hate for them to go to waste. I would take them back to the shop I got them but they are like 2 1/2 hours away. Decisions...decisions......

John

I believe the scoring is at the points where there are gaps between where the iris pcs come together. You probably wont be able to use a hand corker to get these in . I would give it a try with water if you dont want to bring them back.

After hearing a presentation by NomaCorc, I am surprised how many I sell. The maximum storage period for the standard Nomacorc is 30-36 months, while their premium grade is good for 5 years. My perfect corks will last for more than 10 years. Change corks.

I personally love George's perfect corks and wouldnt change from them myself. they insert very easy, they come out very easy, and they have the best of both worlds as they are part synthetic and part natural.

No,my corks are not Altecs. They come from a different source. That is why the prices are so much less than the Altecs. As an aside, the only complaint I have ever had about the perfect cork is that it was hard to remove. Since we have added the additional coating and started recommending the cork humidor, these complaints have gone away almost entirely.

Thanks again for the replies. George are these the corks you are talking about?

Straight Corks - Fine Vine Wines Perfect Agglomerate #9 X 1.5 (Bag of 100)

Next question and probably a dumb one but how do you guys store your extra corks? Do I put them in a ziploc bag? Approximately how long could I store them in that manner? I don't make a ton of wine so maybe the real answer is get more started to be ready for corking!
smiley36.gif

Thanks again,
John

cubs4ever said:
Thanks again for the replies. George are these the corks you are talking about?

Straight Corks - Fine Vine Wines Perfect Agglomerate #9 X 1.5 (Bag of 100)

Next question and probably a dumb one but how do you guys store your extra corks? Do I put them in a ziploc bag? Approximately how long could I store them in that manner? I don't make a ton of wine so maybe the real answer is get more started to be ready for corking!
smiley36.gif

Thanks again,
John

John
Make you a cork humidor. You can go by about any doughnut shop and get you a food grade bucket nor any bucket that will seal good will work. I put a quart jar with a sulphite solution in the bucket ( Holes punched in the lid of the jar ) and just put your corks in and seal the lid.

Latest posts

Back