Hello from a brand new winemaker!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ventisei

Junior
Reaction score
My husband and I love wine and appreciate the artistry. We lived in the Bay Area for years and frequently spent time in wineries in the area. We always dreamed of planting a vineyard but never had the space. We moved to South Reno, Nevada and bought a house with the perfect area for planting a few vines so we took the plunge. UNR had a great professor, Dr. Grant Cramer who did years of research with test vineyards for wine grape growing in Nevada. (We are at 4500 ft elevation on the side of hill). We followed his advice and planted 30 Merlot vines 3.5 years ago. I am retired and have had the time to baby these grapes. This will be our first year harvesting our grapes to attempt to make wine. To get some practice, we are currently making 3 gallons of Cabernet Sauvignon from 5 gallons of frozen must we got from Livermore, CA. This is a learning experience and I am loving it!

Attachments

• IMG_0240.jpg
    IMG_0240.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 0
  • grapes.jpg
    grapes.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 0
  • vines at sunset.jpg
    vines at sunset.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 0
Hey "26," Welcome to the forum. Love your layout and it appears you have a fine harvest coming. Keep us up on the ripening and harvest (I assume late September or early October).

What breed of puppy is that?

Hey "26," Welcome to the forum. Love your layout and it appears you have a fine harvest coming. Keep us up on the ripening and harvest (I assume late September or early October).

What breed of puppy is that?
I’m impressed you know what Ventisei means!! My husband is Italian and both of our kids were born on the 26th.
Our puppy is Leocino and he is a giant labradoodle.

My husband and I love wine and appreciate the artistry. We lived in the Bay Area for years and frequently spent time in wineries in the area. We always dreamed of planting a vineyard but never had the space. We moved to South Reno, Nevada and bought a house with the perfect area for planting a few vines so we took the plunge. UNR had a great professor, Dr. Grant Cramer who did years of research with test vineyards for wine grape growing in Nevada. (We are at 4500 ft elevation on the side of hill). We followed his advice and planted 30 Merlot vines 3.5 years ago. I am retired and have had the time to baby these grapes. This will be our first year harvesting our grapes to attempt to make wine. To get some practice, we are currently making 3 gallons of Cabernet Sauvignon from 5 gallons of frozen must we got from Livermore, CA. This is a learning experience and I am loving it!
Welcome to WMT!

Hi from Texas!
That sounds exciting and fun! Thats where I am too, retired and have the time to give it my all. I planted 40 and have 40 ordered for delivery next spring. Its been fun and I can't wait to get to the winemaking part with my own grapes! So jealous you are already there, but I will just keep moving along and it'll be there before I know it!

Hi from Texas!
That sounds exciting and fun! Thats where I am too, retired and have the time to give it my all. I planted 40 and have 40 ordered for delivery next spring. It’s been fun and I can't wait to get to the winemaking part with my own grapes! So jealous you are already there, but I will just keep moving along and it'll be there before I know it!
Good luck and have fun! Enjoy the process!

Latest posts

Back