Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last night's work did not go so well.

Than plan was to dismount the commode in the master bath, remove the remaining vinyl tiles, install vinyl planks, install quarter round (FAR easier if the commode is not in the way), and remount the commode.

I drained the tank and we removed it. My son removed the caps over the mounting bolts (hold the commode to the floor).

This is where I screwed up -- I didn't realize he had not removed the nuts. I grabbed the commode and lifted. I tore the bolts through the flange (plastic piece that screws into the floor and holds the bolts for the commode), breaking it.

Son of a $&#**&% %*%#^!!!!

Ok, Plan B. Unscrew the flange and replace it. Except ... we can't get the screws out. They will NOT budge. This flange has been in place for 30 years, so the screws are set and that is among the reasons why the flange broke (ancient plastic).

Added to that, the cutoff valve isn't working. We have acidic water and the interior of the valve is compromised, so the water is not completely shut off. It leaks enough that I had to put a basin under it.

So we reassemble the commode, including the water line. It will leak into the tank until the tank is full.

Then we warmed up spaghetti and opened a bottle of @VinesnBines 2022 blend (75% Foch / 25% Leon Millot).

This morning I called a plumber to replace the cutoff valve and the flange. He's coming tomorrow.

I'm not messing with the cutoff valve, as copper lines are involved. I lack the tools and expertise, and don't need it often enough to accumulate tools and expertise. The flange? I have a plumber coming anyway, so I'm not messing with unscrewing bolts from 30 yo wood ...

I called a plumber yesterday morning, guy arrived at 8:45 AM and left at 10:05, new flange and new cutoff valve in place.

Funny -- I expected the flange to be easy and the cutoff value not, but it was the reverse. There was a lot of cutting and gluing to replace the flange -- the cutoff valve took 10 minutes. Money well spent, as now it's done.

Mrs. WM81 will be happy when she gets my text that it's done.

After work I'll do my best to finish the floor (it's a 3x3 area) and remount the commode, to surprise her when she gets home. :)

I generally do most of my own repairs, as it's a huge money saver. But some things? Like when the spring on the garage door broke -- a friend who does literally everything himself told me to hire a professional. The springs tension a 450 lbs door so there is a LOT of torque involved ... if I had the correct tools and knew how to use them, it's a fairly easy job. If not? It's potentially very dangerous.

IMG_4232.JPG

IMG_4233.JPG

I'm calling the flooring done. I had one spot where the ends were not quite perfectly aligned and tapping them together raised up the female end. Of course, it was very visible and in a very visible spot. I mention this in case someone else has this trouble sometime. There's a video fix! It works!

Now, if could just get my 3x4-foot stained plywood end for the Lazy Susan, the cabinet guys could install everything and be done with their part. Too large for UPS or FedEx. Was due to be delivered 8/28. Calling and calling... It has been at a Nashville shipper for 2-1/2 weeks. Called them like 3 times so far. They say "you are so far from us" that they have no idea when it might be delivered. WTF, you are in the SHIPPING business! 😄

Called the cabinetmaker. They are gonna try to ship one directly to Home Depot, which they earlier said they could not do. So, got ahold of my HD salesperson to let her know. She says my paperwork says the piece was delivered 8/30! LIES! I said back. Except for my cabinet guys, almost everyplace this project has touched other humans, there has been delay and trouble. But I'll win eventually.

View attachment 115661

View attachment 115662

I'm calling the flooring done. I had one spot where the ends were not quite perfectly aligned and tapping them together raised up the female end. Of course, it was very visible and in a very visible spot. I mention this in case someone else has this trouble sometime. There's a video fix! It works!

Now, if could just get my 3x4-foot stained plywood end for the Lazy Susan, the cabinet guys could install everything and be done with their part. Too large for UPS or FedEx. Was due to be delivered 8/28. Calling and calling... It has been at a Nashville shipper for 2-1/2 weeks. Called them like 3 times so far. They say "you are so far from us" that they have no idea when it might be delivered. WTF, you are in the SHIPPING business! 😄

Called the cabinetmaker. They are gonna try to ship one directly to Home Depot, which they earlier said they could not do. So, got ahold of my HD salesperson to let her know. She says my paperwork says the piece was delivered 8/30! LIES! I said back. Except for my cabinet guys, almost everyplace this project had touched other humans, there has been delay and trouble. But I'll win eventually.

looks great!

I finished the floor in the master bath today, installing the quarter round, then mounting the commode. All-in-all, it was an easy day.

Tomorrow I start flooring the closet. We have 2 built-in shelving units that go to the floor, with an opening at the bottom I have to work around. I think this will be PITA to do, but it will involve messing with only 2 planks, so the irritation will be short lived. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Mrs. WM81 is really happy with the floor! The vinyl planks are more comfortable to walk on, there's more give that most other solid floors.

Honestly, I'm happy that I'm not doing anything as extensive as what Jim (@jswordy) is doing!

View attachment 115661

View attachment 115662

Called the cabinetmaker. They are gonna try to ship one directly to Home Depot, which they earlier said they could not do. So, got ahold of my HD salesperson to let her know. She says my paperwork says the piece was delivered 8/30! LIES! I said back. Except for my cabinet guys, almost everyplace this project has touched other humans, there has been delay and trouble. But I'll win eventually.

Nice!

Skinned a tree today. "Someone in the family " wanted a natural light post. I recently cut down some good sized pines that I considered to close to the house should a forrest fire get here. Took a couple hours.

20240906_142212.jpg

20240907_151058.jpg
Installed, but don't have the actual solar lamps going on it. Fire pit to the right of it. Bench coming soon too. The gray rock is the base.

1000005089.jpg

Last edited:
I finished the floor in the master bath today, installing the quarter round, then mounting the commode. All-in-all, it was an easy day.

Tomorrow I start flooring the closet. We have 2 built-in shelving units that go to the floor, with an opening at the bottom I have to work around. I think this will be PITA to do, but it will involve messing with only 2 planks, so the irritation will be short lived. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Mrs. WM81 is really happy with the floor! The vinyl planks are more comfortable to walk on, there's more give that most other solid floors.

Honestly, I'm happy that I'm not doing anything as extensive as what Jim (@jswordy) is doing!

Last night, I got a change order from the Boss to add an outlet. It would have been easy work about 5 months ago. Now, I need to go up in the attic to drop the wire. Waiting for cooler weather. It is still mid-80s here.

Last night, I got a change order from the Boss to add an outlet. It would have been easy work about 5 months ago. Now, I need to go up in the attic to drop the wire. Waiting for cooler weather. It is still mid-80s here.
I understand your POV. In the summer my attic is hotter than Mercury.

We are sliding in to fall, which is fine with me. Growing up in Upstate NY gives me the POV that there is rarely a winter in central NC. So I love 3 seasons! Summers? I drink a LOT of water and sweat it all out. 🤣

Last night Mrs. WM81 noticed the base of the commode was leaking. Just a bit ... but anyone who deals with construction and/or home repairs knows there is no such thing as a "little" leak. It's either not leaking or it is, and if it is, it needs fixing! Water is the most destructive force in nature.

I was at Lowes Home Improvement at 8AM this morning, and this time I purchased a non-wax seal, the Fluidmaster Blue Rubber Toilet Gasket.

For those who are unaware, the drain on a commode is sealed with wax. Sticky, gummy wax that sticks to everything we don't want it to. It's one use -- if the commode needs to be unmounted, scrape off the old wax and put on a new one. It's one of the most hateful jobs in plumbing. At least in my opinion!

The wax seal has to be done right, and minor things such as rocking the commode during installation will make a leak. Apparently I screwed up yesterday (and not for the first time!).

So I just got done installing the rubber seal, after spending a lot of time scraping off the old wax. I used a heat gun to soften the residue -- the rubber seal instructions said to remove all the wax, and since I don't ever want to do this again, I took them at their work.

Once that was done, the installation went easy. There is a barcode in the instruction that opens a YouTube video, which is well done.

If this works, I will NEVER do another wax seal! 🙃

Last night Mrs. WM81 noticed the base of the commode was leaking. Just a bit ... but anyone who deals with construction and/or home repairs knows there is no such thing as a "little" leak. It's either not leaking or it is, and if it is, it needs fixing! Water is the most destructive force in nature.

I was at Lowes Home Improvement at 8AM this morning, and this time I purchased a non-wax seal, the Fluidmaster Blue Rubber Toilet Gasket.

For those who are unaware, the drain on a commode is sealed with wax. Sticky, gummy wax that sticks to everything we don't want it to. It's one use -- if the commode needs to be unmounted, scrape off the old wax and put on a new one. It's one of the most hateful jobs in plumbing. At least in my opinion!

The wax seal has to be done right, and minor things such as rocking the commode during installation will make a leak. Apparently I screwed up yesterday (and not for the first time!).

So I just got done installing the rubber seal, after spending a lot of time scraping off the old wax. I used a heat gun to soften the residue -- the rubber seal instructions said to remove all the wax, and since I don't ever want to do this again, I took them at their work.

Once that was done, the installation went easy. There is a barcode in the instruction that opens a YouTube video, which is well done.

If this works, I will NEVER do another wax seal! 🙃

I've been using these for years.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SANI-SE...ble-Waxless-Seal-Universal-Fit-BL01/203564758

Wax seals just don't cut it. It's also good to remember that these leaks can be caused by slow drainage, indicating a partial sewer blockage.

I checked Jim's link and realized mine is a different product:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fluidmaste...-in-in-Wax-Free-Gasket-For-Universal/50258405

Overall it's rated on Lowes as 4.2 / 5.0.

I started reading the low-end reviews ... a couple of the complaints may be reasonable, but of the first twenty 1-star reviews, 18 reinforced my belief that some people should not be allowed in the same room as tools, and should never touch them. One person gave it a 1-star rating and the comment said, "I haven't installed it yet." :rolleyes:

Ratings are a mixed bag. I treat them like measurements in winemaking -- the number may be useful but ensure it's in context.

That said, I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Read the reviews on Home Depot with pictures before you install one of these! Apparently, they have a high failure rate after a few years.

LOL, at the house I have had two of them in place, one for 24 years, one for 10 years. No worries. Follow directions, install properly. Make sure your pipe is not partially blocked causing slow drainage.Screenshot 2024-09-09 at 7.28.11 PM.png

Last edited:
I checked Jim's link and realized mine is a different product:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fluidmaste...-in-in-Wax-Free-Gasket-For-Universal/50258405

Overall it's rated on Lowes as 4.2 / 5.0.

I started reading the low-end reviews ... a couple of the complaints may be reasonable, but of the first twenty 1-star reviews, 18 reinforced my belief that some people should not be allowed in the same room as tools, and should never touch them. One person gave it a 1-star rating and the comment said, "I haven't installed it yet." :rolleyes:

Ratings are a mixed bag. I treat them like measurements in winemaking -- the number may be useful but ensure it's in context.

That said, I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Yes, they are not the same product. I agree that ratings are a mixed bag. Some positives are paid. Some negatives are boneheads who can't open a paper bag properly. Some can't or won't read the instructions. Some misapply the product. Overall, across all the products I buy online (and it's a lot) I find ratings to be generally useless for any product 4 stars overall or higher. If it gets only 3 stars overall, I begin to doubt it.

Last edited:
Yes, they are not the same product. I agree that ratings are a mixed bag. Some positives are paid. Some negatives are boneheads who can't open a paper bag properly. Some can't or won't read the instructions. Some misapply the product. Overall, across all the products I buy online (and it's a lot) I find ratings to be generally useless for any product 4 stars overall or higher. If it gets only 3 stars overall, I begin to doubt it.
Yes, reviews need to be carefully read. But, when photos are posted of the failure of the product, that is worth paying attention to, especially when there are multiple reports and photos of the exact same failure mode.

Back