How much sugar should I buy?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When the apple harvest is in, I plan to buy 50 gallons of cider. I be using ec1118 yeast, shooting for 18 percent. I also know that it will involve hydrometers and such for SG. Now I need a reasonable guestimate of the amount of sugar that I'll need. The local farm store has it on sale @ $.70 per pound. Who has a guess?

"Guess" is a good word to use, as numerous assumptions must be made. ;)

A quick check says cider is typically around 1.050, and to achieve near 18% ABV, the OG needs to be roughly 1.125. This means the SG must increase by 0.075.

1 lb sugar raises the SG of 1 US gallon by 0.045, so 1.7 lbs of sugar per gallon is required to increase from 1.050 to 1.125

Total sugar, based upon several (potentially incorrect) assumptions is 85 lbs.

"Guess" is a good word to use, as numerous assumptions must be made. ;)

A quick check says cider is typically around 1.050, and to achieve near 18% ABV, the OG needs to be roughly 1.125. This means the SG must increase by 0.075.

1 lb sugar raises the SG of 1 US gallon by 0.045, so 1.7 lbs of sugar per gallon is required to increase from 1.050 to 1.125

Total sugar, based upon several (potentially incorrect) assumptions is 85 lbs.
The math looks good to me.

It doesnt really matter how much sugar you have or need. If you are like me, then every time you walk the past sugar in the supermarket, you will get the urge to buy more to add to the secret stash.
When I read the title the first thing I thought was "well that depends on how many bags of coffee I'm buying".

You know you have a problem when you hide your sugar consumption from your loved ones and have secret stashes around the house.

Do they have a 12 step program for us?

Latest posts

Back