How much wine do you make? (2024)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much wine do you make per year?

• 1 to 5 gallons / 4 to 19 liters

• 6 to 10 gallons / 23 to 38 liters

• 11 to 25 gallons / 42 to 95 liters

• 26 to 50 gallons / 98 to 189 liters

• 51 to 75 gallons / 193 to 284 liters

• 76 to 100 gallons / 288 to 379 liters

• 101 to 150 gallons / 382 to 568 liters

• 151 to 200 gallons / 572 to 757 liters

• 200+ gallons / 758+ liters

Results are only viewable after voting.
I changed my vote because this year I only made 42 gallons . That is before the angels share. I simply have too much from previous years and normally in the 76-100 range.
You make an interesting point -- the variability from year to year.

In 2023 we made 96 gallons. For various reasons this is above my typical 60 to 75 gallons. This year the target is about 75 gallons, but we won't know until all is pressed. I have 5 cases of wine from 2023 in boxes that I don't have rack space for ... and we have three 55 liter class barrels yet to bottle.

In the long term, this will work out. But at this moment I'm thinking: "What were you thinking?!?!?!"

I made 28 gallons this year - 7 of Tempranillo, 6 (expected) of Pinot currently fermenting, 5 each of Viognier and Riesling (the latter currently fermenting), 4 of Tempranillo rosé and 1 of Pinot rosé saignée. But I voted 11-25 since 28 gallons is way above my household consumption rate so unless I can continue giving away more and more wine I will have to scale back down eventually!

I made 28 gallons this year - 7 of Tempranillo, 6 (expected) of Pinot currently fermenting, 5 each of Viognier and Riesling (the latter currently fermenting), 4 of Tempranillo rosé and 1 of Pinot rosé saignée. But I voted 11-25 since 28 gallons is way above my household consumption rate so unless I can continue giving away more and more wine I will have to scale back down eventually!
Speaking only for myself, I find that since I have 20 to 30 cases of bottled wine in the cellar, I go through it faster. Not necessarily drinking it, but I don't even think about it when pouring half a bottle of wine into the saute pan when making dinner. No big deal. I'll go downstairs and get another one.

In 2023 we made 96 gallons. For various reasons this is above my typical 60 to 75 gallons. This year the target is about 75 gallons, but we won't know until all is pressed. I have 5 cases of wine from 2023 in boxes that I don't have rack space for ... and we have three 55 liter class barrels yet to bottle.

In the long term, this will work out. But at this moment I'm thinking: "What were you thinking?!?!?!"
WHAT? you are not drinking it all? Shameful!

Today I bottled 6 cased of 21 Malbec and still have 8 gallons of PV and 12 gallons of Tannat from 2021 that I'm still trying to come up with the right blend. For the 2022s there is 28 gallons of CF, 15 of CS, 6.5 Merlot and Alicante and 11 of Syrah with a 3 gallons of 2021 Malbec and PV for a 2022 Bordeaux blend. I really hate blending all 5 of the Bordeaux varietals.

Speaking only for myself, I find that since I have 20 to 30 cases of bottled wine in the cellar, I go through it faster. Not necessarily drinking it, but I don't even think about it when pouring half a bottle of wine into the saute pan when making dinner. No big deal. I'll go downstairs and get another one.
This is only my second vintage transitioning from fruit wines to fresh grapes, so I still have the mindset of "I can't waste it for cooking wine" 🤣. But I will have so much now I think I'll lose that mindset pretty quick. And sauteeing with wine is a great way to add flavor to lots of dishes

This is only my second vintage transitioning from fruit wines to fresh grapes, so I still have the mindset of "I can't waste it for cooking wine" 🤣. But I will have so much now I think I'll lose that mindset pretty quick. And sauteeing with wine is a great way to add flavor to lots of dishes
I think most will agree that there are wines we are not the proudest of and something is just off. These are my cooking wines.

Fred (@mainshipfred) and I are perfect examples of valid differences in winemaking. He has wines in barrel longer than you've made grape wine, while I cycle everything through annually. There are SOOO many choices, and most work just fine. As you gain experience, consider why each of us does what we do, and use to determine what you want to do.

I think most will agree that there are wines we are not the proudest of and something is just off. These are my cooking wines.
Most wines, once boiled, taste a lot alike! I typically use my least favorites in the pan when cooking.

I belong to a Facebook group that places group orders for vanilla beans. Folks post about making vanilla extract with high end alcohol. I bite my tongue -- using expensive liquors to make vanilla extract is sheer idiocy. All the value of a high end Scotch or rum is completely lost when making vanilla extract.

Using the wine that cost me $3 to $6 per bottle to make scalloppine? I have several cases left, so it's the right choice.

So last year I made 254 gallons. 70 as part of one group and 140 as part of another group and 20 gallons with a good friend and then 24 solo with grapes from our vineyard. I had predicted in last years survey 200 gallons but I wasn’t expecting anything from the vineyard nor the batch made with the friend. He stumbled into a half bin of Mission grapes from 250 year old vines so we had to go for it. Btw I now know why no one makes commercial mission wines. Flavor less grapes make flavorless wine.

This year our backyard vineyard will be in its third year. I’m estimating 150 gallons from it and then a 70 gallon batch with a group of friends. We tend to make in multiples of 70 as that fills a barrel and leaves us with 10 or so gallons for top up.

Well, the plans changed but I ended up in the same place in terms of the survey. As I got closer to harvest, it became clear that there were going to be a lot more grapes from the vineyard than I had anticipated. So my group of friends, my wife and I scratched the idea of a separate batch and decided just to focus on the vineyard this year. We ended up picking 2880 pounds over six picks.

At this point it looks like just over 200 gallons total. Already pressed we have Syrah 50, Mourvèdre 27, Grenache 37, and Carignane 22 (all in kegs at this point) plus what projects to be 75 gallons of Primitivo which is currently in primary fermentation - hopefully press this weekend.

We plan move the Syrah plus 10 gallons of Mourvèdre into a barrel next week. The residual Grenache and Mourvèdre will age in 15 gallon kegs, used as top off wine as needed, and then we will blend sometime next year.

The Primitivo will go into a second barrel and the extra wine stay in kegs as top off. Carignane will also age in kegs and, again be blended next year - mostly with the Primitivo but we will also try a few other blends across the two barrels.

When I read this poll, I was going to select 30 gallons in the 26–50-gallon range thinking I hadn't made too much this year. Then, I thought I better consult my logbook. I was off a bit. Right at 78 Gal (295L) and I am at my carboy/aging area capacity with my other aging wines!

8-gal combination 6-gal Italian Montepulciano juice and 1 lug of Calif Montepulciano grapes (pitching today).
6-gal WE Sauvignon Blanc
6-gal FWK Sangiovese/Cab Sauv blend
3-gal Apres Choc Rasp (wish I did 6 gal instead)
6-gal Italian Pinot Grigio Juice
6-gal Italian Barbera juice w/ grape skins and seeds added
6-gal Island Mist Rasp/Peach Sangria
6-gal FWK Super Tuscan
6-gal Chilean Malbec Juice w/grape skins and seeds added
6-gal Chilean Cab/Syrah w/grape skins
6-gal Island Mist Cosmopolitan (daughter's college graduation and she liked it)
6-gal Island Mist Blue Hurricane (daughter's college graduation and she loved it!)
6-gal WE Exotic Fruit w/ additional fruit added in fermentation

When I read this poll, I was going to select 30 gallons in the 26–50-gallon range thinking I hadn't made too much this year. Then, I thought I better consult my logbook. I was off a bit. Right at 78 Gal (295L) and I am at my carboy/aging area capacity with my other aging wines!
That's why I record my notes. If I depended on my memory ... things would be way off!

I make most of my wine from my own fruit.

Thats another one of my aims over the next few years. I have apples, plumbs, rhubarb, strawberries and I have just planted gooseberries. I can forage blackberries from my local nature reserve so it pretty much covers what I would like to make.

Of course every year something comes along and eats me out of one or the other, but that is life's way.

Growing your own seriously cuts down ingredient costs too as buying fruit is very expensive.

Latest posts

Back