Marechal Foch or Leon Millot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had some spectacular Leon Millot in Michigan last year. It had a bit more deep dark fruit and a little less tannins than the Foch I have had. It was better than the Foch I had on that trip but it was a different winery, so hard to compare. However, the wine was so good, I’m growing 3 vines of Leon Millot now to test it out. I have access to a bit of Foch this year (in Utah like @mgmarty) and I’ll see if I can differentiate the flavors a little more. My vines won’t be producing for a while and I’m going to the Midwest again this year and I am intending on finding ways to do direct comparisons of those varietals.

Here’s my ultimate thought: Foch is becoming a “mainstream” grape outside of the cold hardy world it seems, which may be meaningful to you. Leon Millot in my opinion has huge potential but seems less tested. I guess it’s a question of slight differences in tannin and maybe some aspects of the flavor profile. As always, farming and preparation are a huge factor.

I had some spectacular Leon Millot in Michigan last year. It had a bit more deep dark fruit and a little less tannins than the Foch I have had. It was better than the Foch I had on that trip but it was a different winery, so hard to compare. However, the wine was so good, I’m growing 3 vines of Leon Millot now to test it out. I have access to a bit of Foch this year (in Utah like @mgmarty) and I’ll see if I can differentiate the flavors a little more. My vines won’t be producing for a while and I’m going to the Midwest again this year and I am intending on finding ways to do direct comparisons of those varietals.

Here’s my ultimate thought: Foch is becoming a “mainstream” grape outside of the cold hardy world it seems, which may be meaningful to you. Leon Millot in my opinion has huge potential but seems less tested. I guess it’s a question of slight differences in tannin and maybe some aspects of the flavor profile. As always, farming and preparation are a huge factor.
I’m up to sharing a bottle when my vintage is ready. Foch is so versatile. My daughter is a wine maker in Oregon, she loves the Foch in the region. It’s prolific, grows like a weed. In July I hedge and leaf pull. It’s easy to harvest to early when the numbers are in. Don’t. Please don’t. When the numbers hit start tasting. Foch has a bland taste unlit ripe. If you start tasting the grapes when the numbers hit, you will understand. It’s a beautiful grape.

I’m up to sharing a bottle when my vintage is ready. Foch is so versatile. My daughter is a wine maker in Oregon, she loves the Foch in the region. It’s prolific, grows like a weed. In July I hedge and leaf pull. It’s easy to harvest to early when the numbers are in. Don’t. Please don’t. When the numbers hit start tasting. Foch has a bland taste unlit ripe. If you start tasting the grapes when the numbers hit, you will understand. It’s a beautiful grape.
I love the way you speak about it, it's like an art and a science at the same time. We are in Massachusetts 😂 but maybe someday we will be able to do a countrywide vineyard tour of all our forum growers! Wouldn't that be fantastic!

Latest posts

Back