New York FOP regulations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveV

Junior
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I live in upstate New York, about 10 minutes from Cornwall, Ontario, Canada where there are a couple FOP operations doing really well. I would really enjoy looking into an opportunity to open one here in the US. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out the legality of this type of operation in New York State. In Canada, I don't think the operators have any kind of a liquor license because they are actually not responsible for the fermentation (creation of alcohol) since the customer sprinkles the yeast.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi everyone,

I live in upstate New York, about 10 minutes from Cornwall, Ontario, Canada where there are a couple FOP operations doing really well. I would really enjoy looking into an opportunity to open one here in the US. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out the legality of this type of operation in New York State. In Canada, I don't think the operators have any kind of a liquor license because they are actually not responsible for the fermentation (creation of alcohol) since the customer sprinkles the yeast.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.
All FOP operations in Canada have a special Liquor licence. In B.C. where I operate the LCB only allows you one licence of 1 type. Other wise if you have a U-brew U-vint licence you can not be associated with a resteraunt with a liquor licence, Microbrewery ETC. PM me if you would like I can give you some direction but I am not versed in US law nor New York State law.

Thanks for the response, RJB. I wasn't sure how it worked in CA. I think I would be best served contacting the New York LCB to get the particulars of running a U-brew operation in the US. Cheers.

U bet. Good luck. One heads up for you. It is the over head that kills most of these type businesses keep that down and you will have a fighting chance.

Latest posts

Back