Oak Barrel Plunge

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All you have to do is take the thermocouple off the evaporator coil and run it outside the space. Then run the one from the Inkbird inside and plug the AC unit into the Inkbird. Mine is set at 57° and it works just fine. My warehouse has no AC and in the summer it can get to 90+degrees. @Brant, the unit condensate is self evaporating which I think a lot are nowadays.
Hey Fred,

I understand your wine box is located inside a warehouse and its quite warm in the Summer. I am guessing you have pulled out the Window AC's thermocouple and it is now sticking outside the box and exposed to the warm/hot warehouse room air temps.

My problem (and hoping someone has/had the same issue) is that the Inkbird works perfectly during the warm daytime but as the outside air temps drop (which they do out here in the desert southwest at night) the thermocouple will read cooler than the set point of the Inkbird and the AC unit will basically not engage the compressor any longer but the unit runs the blower motor continuously all night long. I basically have to raise the set point on the Inkbird every night to like 65 so the unit will shut down and not run the fan all night long and then lower it back to 61 the next morning (once the outside temp has risen enough) and the compressor will kick back in and cool the cellar. Not the best most efficient method.

I need to keep the window units thermocouple around 80 or so 24/7 somehow. Anybody have a simple fix that is tried and true?

Thinking about a night light? Possibly a heating pad that would not shut off but thought I would pulse the forum for ideas.

So I pulled out one of my heating pads I used to help complete MLF when its too cool. These pads do not turn off by themselves and have a cover. I set to low and pulled the AC thermostat back inside and place it between the inside wall and the heating pad. Held it all together with some Duck tape because...... why not! LOL

Its now cycling on/off perfectly like it would when it is hot outside. As you can see the AC thermostat is reading a warm but not hot temp now so I don't think I have a fire hazard. I will probably add a smart AC switch to the heating pad and have it come on (and the heating pad as well) in the late evening around 10PM and then cut off in the morning around 10AM. It will save some electricity and improve efficiency. I will see about tweaking things maybe a few degrees colder after I get some more data.

IMG_1201.jpeg

IMG_1202.jpeg

IMG_1203.jpeg

IMG_1204.jpeg

So I pulled out one of my heating pads I used to help complete MLF when its too cool. These pads do not turn off by themselves and have a cover. I set to low and pulled the AC thermostat back inside and place it between the inside wall and the heating pad. Held it all together with some Duck tape because...... why not! LOL

Its now cycling on/off perfectly like it would when it is hot outside. As you can see the AC thermostat is reading a warm but not hot temp now so I don't think I have a fire hazard. I will probably add a smart AC switch to the heating pad and have it come on (and the heating pad as well) in the late evening around 10PM and then cut off in the morning around 10AM. It will save some electricity and improve efficiency. I will see about tweaking things maybe a few degrees colder after I get some more data.

View attachment 113593

View attachment 113594

View attachment 113595

View attachment 113596
Just curious, what is the lowest setting on your unit. A few I was able to find data on say 62°.

Just curious, what is the lowest setting on your unit. A few I was able to find data on say 62°.
Mine would go as low as 64 but the room was about 65-66 during the day. Looks like I'm averaging about 62 during the day now and I might be able to go a few degrees colder. This unit is about 14 years old now IIRC. Still blowing Ice cold air!

Latest posts

Back