Peach wine - racking and topping up thoughts?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilvixen

Reaction score
I have three 1-gallon jugs of peach wine in secondary. I used pectic enzyme and bentonite, which left a ton of sediment in the primary bucket. I should have tried to get more liquid during racking, but live and learn. I checked the jugs last night and noticed there's a decent layer of sediment in each jug. I'll probably rack this weekend or next, but I don't have anything for topping.

For batch consistency, I'll be combining everything into the primary bucket and re-distributing to the 1-gallon jugs.

Thoughts/experience/opinions please:

1. How long can/should I leave the jugs in secondary to let the lees compact more?

2. Can I pour the jugs over cheesecloth to get all possible liquid off the lees? Should I use a racking cane down to the sediment first, and then pour the remaining liquid over cheesecloth to reduce oxygen exposure? Should I add kmeta to the jug before racking?

3. I used two cans of white grape/peach concentrate, so I have some grape in the recipe, so topping up with a commercial white wine with peach in the description may work, yea? I have never had peach wine, so I doubt I'd notice if the flavor changed a bit.

I've considered glass marbles, but I think it would take too many. Likewise, racking to jugs smaller than 1-gallon, when it's just enough shy a gallon to be obnoxious seems like more work than topping up with commercial wine.

Thanks!

Just went through about the same thing with 4 gallons of peach wine (From 28 llbs of De-Stoned peaches.)
Did about what you are talking about. About a week after end of secondary, I racked all 4 carboys into a clean fermentation bucket and covered it with an airlock while then used:
1) Stainless steel strainer on the lees, putting the strained liquid into a single carboy (1/2) gallon.
2) Then used a plastic filter on that strained liquid to put it into another 1/2 gallon carboy.
3) At that point I went ahead and racked the 'clear must' from the fermentation bucket into 3 x 1gal carboys and a 1/2 gallon carboy. (Could have done that immediately after the racking too but didn't this time.
4) During the use of the plastic filter I had a lot of 'liquid' left and I put that into a 1/2 gallon carboy for one more filtering with muslin cloth filters.
5) In the end I wound up with 2 smaller containers which I have put into the fridge thinking that I might use them to top off the 3 x 1 gallon and the 1/2 carboy after the next racking in about another 10 days.

Biggest concern I have is the exposure to air during all that filtering. That's one reason I went ahead and put the 'clear must' into the 3 x 1 gallon and the 1/2 carboy before finishing my filtering.
Here some images of the Peach aging, the course lees settled and the filtered liquid from the lees.

Peach Aging Aug 18 2016.jpg

Peach Batch Filtered Lees Aug 18 2016.jpg

Peach Batch Settled Lees Aug 18 2016.jpg

Last edited:
the amount of air added during your process is no more than added by commercial wineries in there filtering process. should not worry.just make sure you add k-meta at end of process. k-meta is a oxygen scavenger as well as a bacterial inhibitor. works great use powder form better control. dosage is 1/4 tsp per 5 gallons.

Latest posts

Back