Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It makes sense to assume it's true, as there's no downside to believing it. Smell cucumber where it doesn't belong, assume there's a snake, and react defensively.

On the plus side, copperhead bites are very rarely fatal, and they often do not inject venom when they bite. On the down side, one source said copperheads account for the largest percentage of snake bites.
In my experience, copperheads are aggression. I've only experienced the cucumber smell once, and it was in an area know for copperheads.

several sources said the aggression is why they account for a large percentage of snake bites.
Another issue I don't think anyone mentioned is risk of infection. Snake bites can be infectious. A few years ago our son was trying to free a black snake from netting over our blueberries. Well, the snake didn't like being handled and was probably irritated from being entangled. So the snake bit him a couple of times. We did the son to the ER so they could cleanse and examine the bite. The snake didn't survive.

Just finished claying and ceramic waxing the truck. It's 100 on the other side of the big door. Decided I needed an inside job.

20240802_172246.jpg

Edit: still hot so the atv and tractor got it!!

20240803_163435.jpg20240803_171404.jpg

2nd edit:

Still hot, JD crawler got a full treatment. Engine oil change, transmission oil change, final drives oil change, and a bath & wax. It is working tractor.

20240804_171805.jpg
20240804_172022.jpg
20240804_172144.jpg

Last edited:
In my experience, copperheads are aggression. I've only experienced the cucumber smell once, and it was in an area know for copperheads.

I've sat in springtime at the base of a large oak tree near a ledge in Illinois and had a lot of copperheads emerging from the ledge as they warmed and going right past me.

I've hiked all over and had them under leaves right near my leg and foot. They rustle the leaves and, because I pay attention, that is all they have to do.

I sat on a ledge I had scooted along at Bear Butte in South Dakota with a rattlesnake I had come upon about 10-12 feet away. He was shaking his rattle to let me know he was there. We sat there a long time taking in the view, until he finally moved off.

In hundred of encounters with snakes over the years, poisonous and nonpoisonous, I have never had one attack me. Those experiences and many more are what cause me to believe that most snakebites are the result of an unaware human, not the snake. It is humanity, not the snake, that has mostly lost its awareness when in nature.

In hundred of encounters with snakes over the years, poisonous and nonpoisonous, I have never had one attack me. Those experiences and many more are what cause me to believe that most snakebites are the result of an unaware human, not the snake. It is humanity, not the snake, that has mostly lost its awareness when in nature.
I expect you're right. The snake doesn't know the difference between an aggressive human and a clueless human.

Getting closer and closer to that elusive "Ace". You can see the pitch mark in front and the one hop stop and no I did not miss the putt!
I’ve never had one technically but I played a course in San Diego, alone and on vacation that had three or four “temporary” greens. A pin but no hole. Tee shot came to rest touching the pin. Course rules called for any ball on a green to be picked up and counted as a 2 putt. Oh well….

You’ll get one yet!

Back