Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today we enter month six of the four-month kitchen project, and so I went to H-D and picked up my order of flooring. I finally have the floor as straight as it is going to get. Those boxes are heavier than I expected! I lack a few pieces of trim that are easily obtainable, one panel that was supposed to have been delivered on 8/28, but the delivery company sux, and backsplash tile. I'm thinking completion in October.

View attachment 115452
A 50% time overrun on a home project. Sounds about right. 🤣

Today we enter month six of the four-month kitchen project, and so I went to H-D and picked up my order of flooring. I finally have the floor as straight as it is going to get. Those boxes are heavier than I expected! I lack a few pieces of trim that are easily obtainable, one panel that was supposed to have been delivered on 8/28, but the delivery company sux, and backsplash tile. I'm thinking completion in October.

View attachment 115452
I just finished up today… well I would have but I’m 9 pc short in the laundry room.
IMG_3545.jpeg
This is my first time installing LVP… I like it!

I looked back and the basement was poured on September 5… it’s been a long year but we’re getting close. I hope to have it move-in ready by the end of September.

A 50% time overrun on a home project. Sounds about right. 🤣

I have never had one run over my estimated deadline before. But in all those other ones, I was doing all the work. Every place this one has touched another human being, there have been delays. On the other hand, a friend is having his redone at the same time by a crew. It's taking the same amount of time.

We are in the midst of installing premium vinyl plank in our master bath & closet. Those boxes are, indeed, far heavier than anyone would expect.

Yesterday my son & I removed the previous vinyl tiles and tore out the 29 yo carpet in the closet. Most of that went easier than we expected; the tack strips are a PITA to rip out.

Today we installed the planks in most of the bath. The commode area gets done Tuesday (just didn't feel like messing with a toilet today), and I'll finish the closet next weekend.

Generally speaking this is all easy work. However, getting up from a kneeling position the 101st time is painful. Even with good kneepads, my kneecaps are saying bad works hours later ...

We are in the midst of installing premium vinyl plank in our master bath & closet. Those boxes are, indeed, far heavier than anyone would expect.

Yesterday my son & I removed the previous vinyl tiles and tore out the 29 yo carpet in the closet. Most of that went easier than we expected; the tack strips are a PITA to rip out.

Today we installed the planks in most of the bath. The commode area gets done Tuesday (just didn't feel like messing with a toilet today), and I'll finish the closet next weekend.

Generally speaking this is all easy work. However, getting up from a kneeling position the 101st time is painful. Even with good kneepads, my kneecaps are saying bad works hours later ...

Congrats on the job! I've done it before and it gets harder to do the older I get, as getting up and down gets harder. I cannot kneel due to knee damage, so all work is done sitting. So I try to make sure I have everything I need before I get down there. However, we were going to use this also in a sunroom, and now we are having second thoughts because the company says in the literature that sunshine can make it warp and buckle, and that is not a flaw. I was trying to stay away from laminate in the sunroom and kitchen because of possible wet floors, but it appears I may have to use laminate in the sunroom anyway. Laminate is much more thermally stable.

The worst for me was that the kitchen floor was not straight. It is much straighter now (but not perfect), but required sanding down high spots and filling low spots, and that was a lot of work.

Those first few years were the best ones made - a real sports car. It wasn't long before they became just another sedan.

And then they weren't. For $15,000-$20,000, you can buy a very low mileage 2002-2005 T-bird and have a blast. I recommend the '05 model year, which is the 50th Anniversary Edition. That's what mine is, and there are changes resulting from the learning curve that to me make it preferable. There are also limited run Neiman Marcus Editions, etc., etc.

IMG_1185.jpg

And so it begins. Even with all my floor prep, there's still some small waves. If I hadn't done that prep, no way this would be working out. Bought a thin underlayment, too, but then when I got the planks the install instructions said if I use that the warranty is void.

IMG_20240903_172517071.jpg

Bought a thin underlayment, too, but then when I got the planks the install instructions said if I use that the warranty is void.
The planks we purchased have an integral underlay. Makes life a LOT easier. 20 years ago I installed Pergo in our addition, getting the underlay to stay flat was a PITA.

The planks we purchased have an integral underlay. Makes life a LOT easier. 20 years ago I installed Pergo in our addition, getting the underlay to stay flat was a PITA.

This has an integral underlayment, but the addition of a 1-mil underlayment besides that is helpful when the floor has slight wave in it. But I went with keeping the warranty even though when you actually read them, they are not worth much. Pergo XP is my preferred laminate. Beautiful stuff, commercial grade and has the attached underlayment. But here we sought an all vinyl product, although I've laid XP in bathrooms without any trouble. If it turns out we can't use this product in the sunroom, it'll be XP for sure.

This has an integral underlayment, but the addition of a 1-mil underlayment besides that is helpful when the floor has slight wave in it. But I went with keeping the warranty even though when you actually read them, they are not worth much. Pergo XP is my preferred laminate. Beautiful stuff, commercial grade and has the attached underlayment. But here we sought an all vinyl product, although I've laid XP in bathrooms without any trouble. If it turns out we can't use this product in the sunroom, it'll be XP for sure.
Gives the room character..

Last night's work did not go so well.

Than plan was to dismount the commode in the master bath, remove the remaining vinyl tiles, install vinyl planks, install quarter round (FAR easier if the commode is not in the way), and remount the commode.

I drained the tank and we removed it. My son removed the caps over the mounting bolts (hold the commode to the floor).

This is where I screwed up -- I didn't realize he had not removed the nuts. I grabbed the commode and lifted. I tore the bolts through the flange (plastic piece that screws into the floor and holds the bolts for the commode), breaking it.

Son of a $&#**&% %*%#^!!!!

Ok, Plan B. Unscrew the flange and replace it. Except ... we can't get the screws out. They will NOT budge. This flange has been in place for 30 years, so the screws are set and that is among the reasons why the flange broke (ancient plastic).

Added to that, the cutoff valve isn't working. We have acidic water and the interior of the valve is compromised, so the water is not completely shut off. It leaks enough that I had to put a basin under it.

So we reassemble the commode, including the water line. It will leak into the tank until the tank is full.

Then we warmed up spaghetti and opened a bottle of @VinesnBines 2022 blend (75% Foch / 25% Leon Millot).

This morning I called a plumber to replace the cutoff valve and the flange. He's coming tomorrow.

I'm not messing with the cutoff valve, as copper lines are involved. I lack the tools and expertise, and don't need it often enough to accumulate tools and expertise. The flange? I have a plumber coming anyway, so I'm not messing with unscrewing bolts from 30 yo wood ...

Last night's work did not go so well.

Than plan was to dismount the commode in the master bath, remove the remaining vinyl tiles, install vinyl planks, install quarter round (FAR easier if the commode is not in the way), and remount the commode.

I drained the tank and we removed it. My son removed the caps over the mounting bolts (hold the commode to the floor).

This is where I screwed up -- I didn't realize he had not removed the nuts. I grabbed the commode and lifted. I tore the bolts through the flange (plastic piece that screws into the floor and holds the bolts for the commode), breaking it.

Son of a $&#**&% %*%#^!!!!

Ok, Plan B. Unscrew the flange and replace it. Except ... we can't get the screws out. They will NOT budge. This flange has been in place for 30 years, so the screws are set and that is among the reasons why the flange broke (ancient plastic).

Added to that, the cutoff valve isn't working. We have acidic water and the interior of the valve is compromised, so the water is not completely shut off. It leaks enough that I had to put a basin under it.

So we reassemble the commode, including the water line. It will leak into the tank until the tank is full.

Then we warmed up spaghetti and opened a bottle of @VinesnBines 2022 blend (75% Foch / 25% Leon Millot).

This morning I called a plumber to replace the cutoff valve and the flange. He's coming tomorrow.

I'm not messing with the cutoff valve, as copper lines are involved. I lack the tools and expertise, and don't need it often enough to accumulate tools and expertise. The flange? I have a plumber coming anyway, so I'm not messing with unscrewing bolts from 30 yo wood ...

Yep, sounds like situation normal here. I have my good days and my bad days. Could have been worse, you coulda cracked the toilet base. I know, small consolation...

Back