Problems with vines.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJI

Junior
Reaction score
I moved into a new place and there are a couple of the vines which are very old and thick and are propped up over a large trellis. The vines produce a ton of grapes but because it’s so thick in there, the grapes don’t ripen at the same time and most of them get rotten before the rest are ripe. I’m not sure how old they are, how much I should water them and what kind of diseases they may have. I’m thinking maybe there are too many cordons which produces too many canes, which prevents light and airflow to enter. How often and how much water would you give a vine like this? Our summers can have multiple weeks of +100 degree weather with some days reaching up to 114F. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5158 Large.jpeg
    IMG_5158 Large.jpeg
    580.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5157 Large.jpeg
    IMG_5157 Large.jpeg
    548.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5156 Large.jpeg
    IMG_5156 Large.jpeg
    262.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5155 Large.jpeg
    IMG_5155 Large.jpeg
    399.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5154 Large.jpeg
    IMG_5154 Large.jpeg
    322.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5153 Large.jpeg
    IMG_5153 Large.jpeg
    407.1 KB · Views: 1
It is difficult to tell for certain, but these look like table grapes. At least it is more common to grow table grapes on an arbor like this. The canopy looks dense and over grown, but I have little experience with this style of grape growing.

I appreciate it. I assumed they were wine grapes because there are so many vines in our backyard producing hundreds of pounds of grapes.

I moved into a new place and there are a couple of the vines which are very old and thick and are propped up over a large trellis. The vines produce a ton of grapes but because it’s so thick in there, the grapes don’t ripen at the same time and most of them get rotten before the rest are ripe. I’m not sure how old they are, how much I should water them and what kind of diseases they may have. I’m thinking maybe there are too many cordons which produces too many canes, which prevents light and airflow to enter. How often and how much water would you give a vine like this? Our summers can have multiple weeks of +100 degree weather with some days reaching up to 114F. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks
you have powdery mildew

All grapes require a lot of pruning… it can be shocking how much you need to remove when you first see it. If yours haven’t been maintained it may take some drastic pruning to put them on the right path.

Try contacting your local university extension program to see if there are some programs for novice grape growers.

All grapes require a lot of pruning… it can be shocking how much you need to remove when you first see it. If yours haven’t been maintained it may take some drastic pruning to put them on the right path.

Try contacting your local university extension program to see if there are some programs for novice grape growers.
Sounds good, I will prune them hard and see if I can save them for next year. I can tell the growth is way too dense and I’m a complete beginner with grapes. Appreciate the feedback.

Back