Removing Wine Labels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't mind cleaning bottles [not yours tho]
To me it is part of the winemaking process...and, usually means bottling day is near.

I use very hot water in the laundry tub...
Soak awhile...
While the glue is still hot use the razor blade paint scraper...
Scrape sideways [not up and down] Try to get under the glue...
Store up-side-down in box.

I soak mine in hot water which enables me to take off the label. then for any glue residue I spray on a product called pure citrus air freshener that you can get at Home Depot. The glue wipes right off with a paper towel. smells good too!

Have you tried filling them with water and soaking in acetone overnite.

For stubbon labels I use either acetone or alcohol.

Cheap by the gallon at Menards, Home Depot, or Lowes.

Boyd, I spray WD-40 on mine to get the glue off. Works like a charm.
smiley4.gif

uavwmn said:
Boyd, I spray WD-40 on mine to get the glue off. Works like a charm.
smiley4.gif
That workedgood a couple of days ago, I now have fifty more bottles to do today. I wonder if spraying them with WD-40 before you even peel the labels off would work, that way you could skip a step.

tez, you could try, but I am thinking it wouldn't get to the glue. Let me know how it works.
smiley4.gif

Seems to me Wd 40 WOULD LEAVE AN OIL RESIDUE ON THE BOTTLE. EXPENSIVE ALSO COMPARED TO A GALLON OF THE OTHER.

Just one spray, wait a couple of minutes, then wipe off with a paper towel.

I always clean and sanitize the bottles and have never had a filmy residue.

Wal-Mart sells a "generic" WD-40 right next to the real thing for a much smaller price - I got one and, so far, haven't been able to tell a difference

I use a cup or a little more of sudsy ammonia cleaner in a dishpan filled with hot water, soak for a little while and labels come right off. Some fall off others just kind of melt away when rubbed with a butter knife. the left over glue will come right off with a scrub brush

Latest posts

Back