Snafflebit 2024 winemaking thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am starting a thread with my winemaking progress. Everybody feel free to jump in and post also.

I picked grapes on 9/8 and Finally got them destemmed on 9/12. I did not notice any issues with the fruit starting to turn, but I kept them about 60-70F. After a day of cold-soaking (ha, actually I was exhausted and quit for the night) with Lallzyme-EX-V the color looks good.
I am making 4 batches.
M Merlot: Brix 27 pH 3.58 TA 5.0 g/L
M Cab Sauv: Brix 26 pH 3.51 TA 6.0 g/L
GW Cab Sauv: Brix 28 pH 3.56 TA 8.8 g/L
W Zin: Brix 27 pH 3.47 TA 10.5 g/L

I said that I did not want to add tartaric acid this year, and I got my wish!

The grapes were picked earlier than usual, targeting 25-26 Brix and again I overshot my goal. But, I get to backwater to 25 and that helps a little with the acid. It will be an interesting vintage.

We have liftoff
IMG_4640.jpeg

I attempted to make yeast starter using the wine bottle method. My yeast is a little aggressive it seems.
IMG_4635.jpeg

Avante would have eaten up some of the malic during AF, but if you plan on a sequential MLF there is no need for it.

I'm intrigued by how high the TA is in your grapes. I buy California grapes every year (they come mostly from Lodi) and I don't remember a year when I didn't have to add tartaric, including the CS I'm fermenting this year which came with a 3.8 pH and a 4.0 TA at 25 brix. I know the micro climate is different in San Jose, but still, that's a big difference...

The TA is high. I agree. Avante would have been a good yeast, but I did not expect this. San Jose is hot and grapes are ripe and low acid. My NaOH is one year old. I guess there is a chance that it is bad and I have made mistakes before. It is probably worth rechecking later. I can add acid if necessary

The TA is high. I agree. Avante would have been a good yeast, but I did not expect this. San Jose is hot and grapes are ripe and low acid. My NaOH is one year old. I guess there is a chance that it is bad and I have made mistakes before. It is probably worth rechecking later. I can add acid if necessary
Post-fermentation you'll taste it if the acid is low, but a re-check with fresh HaOH is a good idea.

I co-inoculated all batches with the ML bacteria tonight at the onset of fermentation. The caps are starting to form.
I tested the TA of one of my finished wines with the same NaOH, measuring 6 g/L. That is close to what I expected. I will recheck the musts at the end of AF.

The taste is more important than the numbers.

I sipped a spoon of the Zin juice and it tastes bright and sweet like a Jolly Rancher. I would not be surprised if it is 10 g/L. I harvested all the clusters I could find that were ripe looking and tasting, but some were from lateral shoots, so clearly they do not have the same ripeness. This batch is only for me to experiment with and learn what the wine from these grapes tastes like.

The GW Cab rehydrated overnight and Brix rose to 26.5, so I watered it back to 25. That should bring the TA down to 7.5 g/L, still high. I may water down yet again...

The M Merlot and Cab have noticeably less acid upon tasting. Their TAs will be lower because of backwatering and I am fine with that.

From WineMaker magazine:
Zinfandel wines sometimes have high total acidity in the face of relatively high final pH, so it’s not unheard-of to see a pH level of 3.6 or 3.7 and a TA of 0.90. When in doubt, go by taste and by Brix. You can always acidulate, but watering down a must of 29° Brix so that the yeast can survive will only dilute flavor and concentration.
I will have to closely monitor my Zinfandel ripeness, and do some whole cluster sampling.

For the winemakers that love a horse race:

1726457088701.png1726457292636.png1726457161545.png1726457206246.png
I set the temperature of the workshop to 78F today, to get a hotter ferment—great color on all the batches including the Zin, which did not receive enzyme.
I taste green apple malic acid in the Zin. The other three batches have the more typical tartaric acid taste. I trust my sense of taste now; these wines will have plenty of acid and will not be flabby.

1726630744488.png1726630790886.png1726630827721.png1726630807693.png

Big Brix drop on the Zin to 2.5 Some of the batches dropped faster than I predicted. I detected a whiff of H2S on the Merlot and Zin. I avoid feeding a must after 10 Brix, so I cut it close on the Merlot. The Zin gets no food at this point--It is almost finished. The other three got nutrients and some DAP

Why the two dots on the GW cab graph for 9/14? Is that from watering back?
Yes. That is what happened

I am now bottling 27 gallons of 2022 wine tonight because I need the carboys and the space, ACK
Looks like another Bordeaux blend is in the works. Even adding a touch of PV.

So far, smells great and I like the amount of oak added. one bottle of Petit Verdot added and I can smell it in the whole batch. that is amazing.

Last edited:
Back