Stated ABV On Labels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiz

Reaction score
I have noticed that labels on commercial wine always states the ABV in even percentages such as 12% or 12.5 %. Even with new vintages that is still true where control is available in the beginning. So, are they rounding off? For example, is an ABV of 13.3% shown as 13.5% and 11.2% shown as 11%?

I would say most likely yes. Hopefully someone like Al or grapeman could confirm this.

Just nit sure what as arent they required by ATF or whatever they call it now ot be exact to them as to what it is? I know at above like 15% or there about they get nailed additionally with a much higher tax on high abv wine.

Yep, it goes up but the error bar is so wide you could be at close to 15% but only pay the lower rate.

Just nit sure what as arent they required by ATF or whatever they call it now ot be exact to them as to what it is? I know at above like 15% or there about they get nailed additionally with a much higher tax on high abv wine.

Not just a tax rate, but you have to have another license! It is simply not legal to go above it for a typical winery.

IBGLOWING> +/- 1.5 % is correct. I'm glad it's somewhat large because, even though we have thoroughly setup our ferments for similar results (all our wine is about 12% abv), it's hard to know for sure where you are at. I can imagine the yeasts eating solids in different juices (that did not saturate by the time the starting s.g.), making more abv. Even some of the better equipment for finding abv isn't always completely accurate.

This question went through my mind when I just finished making 4 consecutive 6 1/2 gallons of cab. using an Italian concentrate which made life easy as it took the same number of gallons of concentrate and water to make each batch which yielded the same s.g.numbers throughout. In the past, I had only made fruit wines that yielded odd numbered ABV's. I think now it looks more professional to show labels with ABV's as even numbers or rounded off to the next higher ABV in increments of .5%.

Latest posts

Back