Vacuum pump pressure

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For reasons other than winemaking I need to purchase a vacuum pump. I might as well use it for my wine stuff as well and was wondering what kind of pressure is needed for wine transfer and filling.

I am looking at an Enlomatic filler head.

The pump has a capacity of 600 mmhg which is about 23 to 24 HG and I figure I will need a reducer/regulator but to what pressure?

Any advice?

Thanks
Ray…

The vacuum pump which many of us use will pull a vacuum of 22 inches Hg. No you do not need a regulator. You can control the vacuum with a valve which controls the flow rate (wet side) or a bleeder which leaks into the pump (dry side). The head you can pull with tap water is (32’ ?) BUT your wine has dissolved CO2 so you will never match what water/ theoretical is.

A variable which you should know is the rating of how many liters per minute the pump pulls. This will actually be the control on your vacuum, ,,, reflect how much degassing happens/ the speed of transfer. A typical 120 volt AC installation pump is sufficient. Oil free is another feature, if you operate inside you don’t want to have oil in the air.

22 inches Hg is about 560 ~ 570 mm Hg, the pump I am looking at is rated at 20-23L/min and is oil free so it looks as if I'm good to go.

I just need to buy a bunch of quick fittings so I can quickly swap out the use. Oooo, wine stuff on business expenses :h:i shhhh, dont tell the tax man.

Thank you.

need to buy a bunch of quick fittings so I can quickly swap out the use.
my standard for fittings is silicone tubing,
I have 4 to 5 cm long joints that are stretchy enough to seal against 3/8 or 1/4 inch tubing, I might patch an acrylic racking cane to a short polyethylene tube and then step that down to 1/4 inch to add some back pressure or a PEX 3/8” which was shaped into a J to reach down into a bucket. Thread is a pain, to get it to seal requires gas tape. (ex a 1/4NPT vacuum gauge). Press fittings work well. (SharkBite etc)

I have some setups pictured in old posts.

I have some setups pictured in old posts.
I saw some of them. I intend to make a similar setup but I need to quickly detach the pump and be on my way. I will use a Euro quick release on the pump so that I can just as quicky attach to my business setup. What comes after that quick release can be as Heath Robinson as I want it to be 🫣

I appreciate your input, thank you
Ray...

This is my degassing setup. It takes a minute or so to get to pressure (or maybe it just seems that long) but that's OK. I'm not sure of I need the trap in between but better safe than sorry is my motto on this one.

I still need to work out exactly how to make my racking setup as I can't seem to find the right size 2 hole bungs for the destination carboy. They all seem to have 5mm holes and I'm looking for something a little bigger to get my hose/racking cane through.

vacuum pump setup.jpg

@back2it : Try using a drop of glycerin to lubricate the racking cane when inserting into a bung. Maybe you can purchase a set of cork drills to cut holes in solid cork to suit your needs. Cork drills are hollow tubes of different diameters sharpened on the inside end to cut the cork/silicone bung.

Last edited:
I have a number of polyethylene tubes which I have stretched to a dropper shape. I can run the thin point through a bung and connect to another tube with silicone. On the other direction I put together an acrylic round for a six gallon pail. A 1/8 NPT was screwed in with press fitting ( like shark bite) The gasket on the acrylic was neoprene sheet. There are corks for every carboy/ ex mason jar size. Gas is a fluid. I have done a number of vacuum corks by running a 1/8” drill through then a 1.5 mm tube as insulation from #12 copper wire.

Shipping to Canada was ridiculous, so I made my own all in one wine pump, and ordered all the bungs and accessories from Steve at All In One Wine Pump. I am super happy with the set up and just ordered his new bottle filler which I have yet to use.

It is super easy to swap from racking to bottling. The air lines are smaller than transfer lines so everything is super simple to work with. The vacuum control valve is a must have to control flow, as well as the vacuum release in your lines. Once you see how slick it works you won't have a moments regret picking up the accessories.

https://allinonewinepump.com/product/wine-splash-racking-cane/
https://allinonewinepump.com/product/replacement-vacuum-release-valve/
https://allinonewinepump.com/produc...-vacuum-reservoir-kit-precision-vacuum-valve/

You definitely want a bottle between your pump and transfer vessels to protect your pump. It is no a lot, but I always end up with a little wine in the bottle overflowing into the air lines

cork drills
I never knew such things existed. They are pretty cheap so I will buy a set and try. Thank you.

Shipping to Canada was ridiculous
Yeah, I get that. Anytime I want to buy anything from the US I think they want the funds to buy the aircraft first or pay a guy to row it over.

You definitely want a bottle between your pump and transfer vessels
Thank you. There is a moisture trap on the pump but it can be overwhelmed. The trap demijohn is an imperial gallon and all the others I have are 5 ltrs (actually 5.2) and I would rather take the imperial gallon out of my "system" as it is easy to miss that it's smaller and over fill it.

I also found these doohickeys which are great to fit hoses into bungs and I'm happy to pass air through them but I don't know if they are food safe so I won't use them for transfering wine.

doohickey.jpg

Last edited:
If you are serious about buying a set of cork borers, add to that a cork borer sharpener.

1721846859484.png

You'll need it.

Borers work quickly on natural cork. Using them on rubber stoppers is different matter altogether. Plan on spending five to ten minutes pushing hard, twisting, checking, and pushing and twisting some more. Good idea to wear a leather gloves on both hands.

Latest posts

Back