Washing fruit (plums) with Starsan or K-Meta?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all. It's plum wine time again. The tree is loaded. My efforts last year were successful but I am always looking to refine my process. Last year, I simply washed my plums with RO water before processing. I added the typical 50ppm of K-meta to final mixture of plums, water, and sugar. I added yeast 24 hours later. I made close to 40 gallons and none of turned or went bad.

However, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to dip the plums in Star San or a sanitizing concentration of K-meta before pitting and crushing?

Hi all. It's plum wine time again. The tree is loaded. My efforts last year were successful but I am always looking to refine my process. Last year, I simply washed my plums with RO water before processing. I added the typical 50ppm of K-meta to final mixture of plums, water, and sugar. I added yeast 24 hours later. I made close to 40 gallons and none of turned or went bad.

However, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to dip the plums in Star San or a sanitizing concentration of K-meta before pitting and crushing?

I would not use the Star San, just Kmeta. Kmeta itself is optional, I’ve done blackberry without ever using Kmeta. As long as you’re using a commercial yeast, a yeast starter protocol, and your fruit is relatively clean, then the additional step of dipping is unnecessary, as well as the Kmeta, in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back