what oak to use for Chardonnay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyt

Reaction score
I am getting ready to start my first Chardonnay. I am leaning towards Cellar Craft Showcase Yakama Chard or the RJ Spagnols Cru Select Chardonnay Australian. I know the oak imparts the vanilla taste and for sure want that, I am thinking light french spiral or medium American spiral. Comment? I want to avoid the licorice taste is there one kit over the other that will help avoid the licorice?

The CC Showcase Yakima Valley Chard comes with about 3oz of Acacia beans. No Oak. I made the MM Renaissance Aussie Chard and it came with 4oz Med french toast oak chips.

I Googled (is that really a verb now) Acacia and don't find much in relation to wine. Does anyone know what it's characteristics are relating to wine?

Check out this thread and make an informeddecision yourself.
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12989
Great help. Sounds like Hungarian medium plus. I'll get some cubes from George. Then if I do the Yakima I can ferment with the Acacia and then decide if I want to add an ounce or two of Hungarian. I would assume a bit less than I would use for Red wine. Thanks Mike and Wade. I printed the thread and put it in my notebook.

Last edited:
Than k Kevin also, he brought up that info for the link on MoreWine. I tell ya, Morewine is one of the most informative websites out there! Wish they would join in here!

Back