What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sored on a fad diet!!!!

My brother has been on this "Gluten Free" kick for about a year.
Since he feels that four is evil, he gifted his pasta machine set to me. I gladly accepted..

On Saturday, It was time to make homemade ravioli!!!!

1) made pasta dough using 2.5 cups of semolina flour, 4 eggs, and a pinch of salt.
I used the volcano method to form the dough and kneaded it for a good 10 minutes.
I then wrapped it in plastic and put it in the fridge to rest.

2) I then made mushroom red sauce. I Fried onion and garlic in olive oil, and added a pinch of red pepper flakes.
After a minute or two, I added about 2 cups of thick sliced mushrooms. I sautéed that until the mushrooms were fully cooked.
I then added 2 cans of crushed tomatoes, a good splash of red wine (of course), dried basil, and 2 tsp sugar.
I then let the sauce simmer for 2 hours (stirring occasionally) until desired thickness was achieved.

3) Once the sauce was simmering, I focused on the ravioli filling

I started by browning 1 pound of ground sausage meat (no casings).
After chilling the meat, I put the meat into a food processor along with 2 eggs, 1/8 cup parmesan cheese,
1/8 cup bread crumbs, 2 eggs, 1tbsp each of fresh diced onion and red pepper.
I then blitzed it until I had a smooth, paste-like consistency.

4) I then rolled out the pasta dough, and formed the ravioli by hand. I used a finger bowl of water to moisten around the filling for a good tight seal.

5) Once I had the ravioli formed, I let them rest for 30 minutes until dinner time.

6) I then boiled the ravioli for 5 minutes. I know that fresh pasta takes little time to cook.
I have to say that this was VERY yummy. The pasta was a little thick and a little too firm, so I will need to remember to roll the dough a little thinner next time.

OK, SO QUESTION FOR ANYONE THAT WORKS WITH FRESH PASTA..

The pasta was too firm. I am not sure if I cooked it too long, cooked it not long enough, or perhaps
I needed to add another egg or even knead it longer. And suggestions would be appreciated!

IMG_20160109_172103_498.jpg

IMG_20160109_183643_056.jpg

IMG_20160109_191900_028.jpg

IMG_20160109_201207_937.jpg

IMG_20160109_201350_459.jpg

Last edited:
Lit the little Weber Q gas grill and 1 minute later it was out of fuel. It was raining and I didn't feel like dealing with charcoal. So it was burgers seared in the cast iron skillet tonight. One of these days soon, I'm going to sous vide some burgers.

Another Beer Dinner last night. Forgot to take pics of a couple of the courses, got too excited LOL. Here is the menu and pics of what I did have the self control to take pics of! Menu attached as a pdf below.

1st pic is actually the second course. "Thai red curry shrimp, rice noodle salad. Paired very well with the Asian White IPA.
2nd pic is actually the fourth course, Wild mushroom ravioli, black truffle pork ragout. Paired well with the Big House Belgo.
3rd pic is the Fromage blanc, blackberry mint compote. Was plate licking good. Went very well the the Juniper Pale Ale.
4th pic was the final course and best dessert ever! Chocolate brioche bread pudding with walnut bourbon sauce. Was amazing with the Honey Vanilla Porter!

An interesting side note. The GM of the Beer Coop is Jason Fitzpatrick whose brother is none other than.... Ryan Fitzpatrick of the New York Jets fame.

View attachment 0965_001.pdf

IMG_0907.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg

IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

Jason.jpg

ryan-fitzpatrick.jpg

Last edited:
Sunday I got together with the younger brother to rack the white wine we started last week.

Ended up making a day of it. Brother picked me up at 8am. We racked and did a variety of chores before turning on the playoffs to watch while we cooked dinner. The wife cam around 2:30pm to eat dinner before taking me home.

we made pork tenderloin, haricot verts (green beans), simply sautéed mushrooms, rice pilaf, and Hungarian cabbage salad (a staple with any meal).

All served with a 2011 petit sarah (one of my good ones)

IMG_20160117_153043_431.jpg

Kids had off today, so I got home in time to make something that takes a bit of time. They love fried chicken fingers so I did those and some Tilapia, first item to fry was a piece of gluten free fish, then all of the good coatings came to visit. Finished it off with some deep fried french fries, had the kids drooling, but they were mine, all mine! They got the baked ones.

1-18-16_fried-stuff.jpg

BBQ Chicken (running in and out to the grill to flip and sauce), onion rings, salad.

OH my. What can I say... A food thread... love it... It is making me so.. hungry lol... I will be sure to participate in this thread:):):HB

Homemade pizza bottle of Juan Gill. But right now just sipping by the fire. Later this evening A dram of Talisker 10 yr

Steve

Back