What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nacho night. Notice that everyone in the family actually ate the same type of food. Miracles do happen. (Daughter MIA, she would of had quesadillas)

Edit: Tandoori chicken marinating in the fridge. Did remove the skin (recipe said to). Boy, it smells pretty interesting.

2-6-16_nachos.jpg

Last edited:
We had a couple of friends over (one just back from a trip to Myanmar!). I served "swine two ways." I had purchased a pork belly a couple of weeks ago, but I wound up cutting it into two halves and freezing both. I wound up cooking both for this evening's dinner, but decided to try them different styles and comparing. I cooked one half using this basic procedure, where I brined for 24 hours, then cooked sous vide overnight, then chilled, then sliced into 3/4" slabs, and then flash-seared each side. I cooked the other half roughly by this procedure, where I brined for 24 hours, then crisped the fat cap, then roasted at moderate temperature for 2 hours. Each was delectable. I think I preferred the sous vide version, as each bite of each piece was unctuous and wonderful; in contrast, the roasted version had some morsels that were superior to everything else, but also had some bites that were "meh, a decent piece of pork...."
We served this with kale braised with chicken stock and sherry, baked sweet potatoes, and Italian green bean au gratin. Washed down with a Viognier/Chenin Blanc/white Grenache blend. Yum!

Oh, that tandoori chicken marinating in the fridge is smelling up my whole kitchen when I open the fridge door (in a very good way). That's some awesome smelling stuff. Can't wait for it to hit the grill!

Whaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Sounds like a Bobby Flay Tandoori Chicken Throwdown!

bobby-flay-throwdown-300x196.jpg

Oh, that tandoori chicken marinating in the fridge is smelling up my whole kitchen when I open the fridge door (in a very good way). That's some awesome smelling stuff. Can't wait for it to hit the grill!

Made Ho Made Guacamole......... LOL

homade-apple-butter-sign.jpg

Beef fajitas with grilled onions and bell peppers.

Tandoori Chicken on the grill with a side of Mango Chutney. This paired amazingly with the 2014 RJS RQ Semillon Sauvignon Blanc!

Wonderful citrus notes on that wine that just can't be beat with the right foods.

Great game so far and GREAT food!

IMG_0958.jpg

Slow simmered smoked pork hock and a ham bone with all the veg: thai peppers, parsnips, carrots, celery, garlic, onion, green beans, and spices.

Then oven roasted zucchini, beets, parsnips, carrots, garlic, onion, and sweet peppers with S&P.

Tossed it all together with homemade charred tomato sauce.

MMMMM!!

On Saturday, after running errands, cleaning the house, and starting to cook for the superbowl party on Sunday, I ran out of time and energy to cook diner...

Yup..

You guessed it..

A bun with a little meat in it (of questionable origin),

A big blob of thousand island dressing served on a crappy bun with two ounces of meat having no flavor at all,

and a large lump of salt held together by mushy, limp potatoes.

Washed it all down with a bottle of pepto...

IMG_20160206_183409_913.jpg

Last edited:
On Saturday, after running errands, cleaning the house, and starting to cook for the superbowl party on Sunday, I ran out of time and energy to cook diner...

Yup..

You guessed it..

A bun with a little meat in it, a double burger swimming in thousand island dressing, served with limp and salted to hell French fries. Washed it all down with a bottle of pepto...

I just threw up a little...

Wings a la Alton Brown

Years back I saw an episode of "good eats" (what ever happened to that show?) where he made buffalo wings. I tried it out, found that I loved them, and have been making them ever since.. Perfect food for superbowl.

First, I get whole wings and butcher them myself. It is much cheaper this way. I remove and toss out the wing tips, and cut them into winglets and drumets.

I then steam them for 25 minutes. This cooks them, moistens them, and (most importantly) removes a lot of the fat so that the wings do not catch fire in the oven.

Once steamed, I cool them over night in the fridge.

The next day, I cook them on a wire rack that is sitting on a sheet pan (to catch the drippings). I blast them in a 450 degree oven for 25 minutes, flip the wings over, then cook for another 25 minutes (again at 450).

This high temp actually fries the chicken in its own fat. resulting in tender, moist meat with "tissue paper" skin. I can not tell you how fantastic they turned out!

For sauce, I made my own.. A shot of garlic, 1 stick of melted butter, 1/2 cup of hot sauce, salt, and pepper. Whisk until blended. Add wings hot out of the oven into the sauce and toss. serve with celery and ranch dressing on the side.

I made a boat load of these wings. They lasted 20 minutes and then were all gone! They actually went faster than the shrimp!

Sorry that I only have a couple of pictures. I was cooking several things at once and simply forgot to take more.

Here are the few pics that I took.

- two family packs of wings
- showing half of the cut up wings because...
- the first half is in the steamer.

IMG_20160206_151409_798.jpg

IMG_20160206_153342_184.jpg

IMG_20160206_153425_991.jpg

Steve,

I have been meaning to ask you for a while now... What sauce do you use for your pizzas? Do you make your own?

Most times no, we use Don Pepino pizza sauce, there is another brand but at the moment I can't recall the name.
I will let you know what the other brand is when I get home.

Steve

don-pepino-pizza-sauce.jpg

Great spread, and nice to see another WSM owner on here. Are you a member over at The Virtual Weber Bullet?

Thanks Jim, I haven't joined the Virtual Weber Forum yet. Was just on it this past weekend looking for any tweaks to the ribs I did.

I had wanted to maintain 125F, but temps were consistently hovering at around 135-140F. I need to work on that. Do you have the gasket for firebox door and lid? I am thinking of adding that just seems a waste for all that smoke to make it's way out before kissing the meat.

Steve

We have that sauce in our local grocery store. I have had the chance to use it. Got to say that this is really good pizza sauce!

Latest posts

Back