What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, and marinate that chicken for 24 hours if using bone-in. I only did 8 today. The boneless-skinless was good with 8, but the thighs definitely need more time than that.

Never lost electricity over the weekend so I never used the 5 lbs of ground beef I bought late last week. Made up a bunch of burgers for dinner last night, kept some beef out to make taco meat. There were hardshell tacos, soft tacos, quesadillas and my favorite nachos.

Amazing how oily they seem after normally having ground turkey or chicken tacos. Served with agua and a cheap bottle of Castillo de Tomás Tempranillo.

1-26-16_beef-nachos.jpg

Looks like those shrooms spent some time in a deep dark red wine!

My eight yr old daughter thinks you need more butter with that bread (bread is a condiment in her world, butter is a food group unto itself).

Looks like those shrooms spent some time in a deep dark red wine!

My eight yr old daughter thinks you need more butter with that bread (bread is a condiment in her world, butter is a food group unto itself).

Oh, they did, indeed!! Sautéed in butter, S&P and some herbs de provence. Then added some wine and reduced.

Normally, I just go with EVOO on the bread, but felt like a little Irish butter tonight.

Wine soaked / herbal mushrooms a great! I have been doing that for years until, one day, I saw a cooking demo. The chef had this attitude that one can not improve on mushrooms. He went on to demonstrate a GREAT technique for sautéing mushrooms.

Here is an outline..

1) wash the mushrooms, remove/trim the stems so they can lay flat.

2) spread out the mushrooms onto a wood board stem-side down and allow to dry for 1 to 2 hours. You know when they are ready when the skin of the mushroom is no longer slimey or slippery.

3) slice mushrooms.

4) Take a large sautee pan and heat to screaming hot.

5) Very quickly, add a tablespoon of butter then the mushrooms. Without stirring them, spread the mushrooms out to a unified layer and add salt and pepper

6) Do not stir until you reach the "boiling mushroom juice" stage. Once you reach that stage, reduce heat and stir occasionally until all of the juice has boiled away. You will notice that the mushrooms glisten as all of the water is gone and only the butter remains.

7) Set aside, cook your steak, then reheat the mushrooms, add a shot of lemon juice (optional), and serve.

By not stirring, and using a very hot pan, the mushrooms actually brown. By reducing/boiling away all of the "mushroom juice", and the browning in the pan, you are left with this incredibly intense mushroom flavor.

I tried this and I will never go back! Give it a try and let me know what you think!

Last edited:
I did mine similarly, @JohnT . Hot pan, one layer, one flip. Got a nice Maillard reaction, then added wine.

I tried the vacuum based marinade system with two meals yesterday.

The first was chicken tenderloins in teriyaki sauce, marinaded overnight. They cooked in the sous-vide at 134 degrees for 2.5 hours, then were seared in a hot pan with butter.

IMG_20160128_125505295[1].jpg

IMG_20160128_125509842[2].jpg

The second was country ribs in sweet and sour sauce, marinaded overnight. They cooked in the sous-vide at 134 degrees for 24 hours, then were seared in a hot pan with butter.

IMG_20160128_182043943[1].jpg

IMG_20160128_182047354[1].jpg

The chicken was better than the pork, but both held an amazing amount of flavor from the marinade. The chicken tasted so much like a chicken teriyaki bowl from one of my favorite ethnic restaurants in California. The pork was good, but a little too dry. I will need to cut the temp down to 131 next time.

It's Fryday, it's Pizza night!

Two oldest kids are out of town until Sunday, so reduced the pizza count by two. Stromboli on the left is only Provolone and Ham (youngest daughter's request). Middle is a pepperoni za with a red sauce base. Right one is a plain (he's so boring sometimes) GF pizza. I even tried to entice him with some nice Johnsonville sweet italian sausage slices, no go. He has been home with a nasty head cold the last two days, so I guess I can't blame him, he wouldn't be able to taste it anyway.

1-29-16_dinner.jpg

It's Fryday, it's Pizza night!

Two oldest kids are out of town until Sunday, so reduced the pizza count by two. Stromboli on the left is only Provolone and Ham (youngest daughter's request). Middle is a pepperoni za with a red sauce base. Right one is a plain (he's so boring sometimes) GF pizza. I even tried to entice him with some nice Johnsonville sweet italian sausage slices, no go. He has been home with a nasty head cold the last two days, so I guess I can't blame him, he wouldn't be able to taste it anyway.

What time will you be delivering? I'm starving!

Wifey was chilly, so I made a ragú after services. First image is the base, second and third are the protein additions, third is the infant garlic bread a rising. Last one is of the pig-out. Older two (on the left) were away all weekend and appreciated a good home cooked meal. I appreciate that I'll have a premade lunch for at least the next two days.

1-31-16_ragu-base.jpg

1-31-16_ragu-protein.jpg

1-31-16_ragu-protein-coooked.jpg

1-31-16_bread.jpg

1-31-16_pgi-out.jpg

Latest posts

Back