What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made my first buttermilk-marinated, country fried chicken. I actually deep fried it!! Used my new cup4cup gluten free flour blend, which was amazing. I've never had chicken that juicy and tender, and SO crunchy on the outside!

Complemented with collard greens, and a nice Rioja. Oh, and my husband's favourite homemade honey dill sauce.

Haystacks for dessert.

I love fried chicken but can never get it right.

Hey Dan, the tricks seem to be: marinating, double dipping - then straight into the fryer at 350. I marinated in buttermilk, then did the dipping station with seasoned flour and buttermilk (flour on dry chicken, buttermilk, flour again). If you leave it to sit even for a minute after coating, it loses it's crunchiness.

Even oven baked like we normally make it, my family loves the stuff like crazy :)

rayway,

i worked for years to get a good fried chicken and used to do it the same way, but would you be game for a little experiment?

what i did not like about that method is that the coating is too thick and the skin ends up to rubbery.

try this.. cut up your chicken into a bowl and season it with old bay, salt, and pepper (season the chicken and not the flour).

add 2 tblsp to the bowl to get the chicken wet and put int fridge for an hour. stir dredge in ap flour, dust off excess and fry.

turns out crispy with a nice tissue paper skin.

Hey JohnT! I`ll definitely try that! This was a new experience for me, using the buttermilk and flour. I'm sure my family will be up for a taste trial :)

We had our special Christmas Eve dinner, and It. Was. Fricking. Lovely. Shrimp for starters (cumin/coriander/lemon), then French onion soup, then rack of lamb, roasted cauliflower (garlic/butter/cumin), and roasted artichoke. Washed down with some aged Zinfandel. Delish!

Christmas dinner was . . . yes . . . burgers stuffed with blue cheese and served with potato wedges and an awesome zinfandel. YUM!

10891701_10100620742104979_2396079959894855468_n.jpg

1506686_10100620742339509_7167128390771388403_n.jpg

Had a traditional dinner this evening of Prime Rib with au jus, creamy Horseradish on the side, Scalloped Potatoes and a nice fresh garden salad. Not bad, not bad at all! :sm

image.jpg

We had Ina Garten's lasagna at my MIL's place along with a really good Chianti. Then over to my parents' house - Dad absolutely nailed a tenderloin on the grill and we had butternut squash, kale salad, and way too much other stuff. Several bottles of The Prisoner valiantly gave their lives.

Sick people food (tomato klesel soup). Hubby and I both woke up sick with wicked colds on the 23rd and it continues...

IMG_20141226_135038 (1).jpg

Sick people food (tomato klesel soup). Hubby and I both woke up sick with wicked colds on the 23rd and it continues...

Is this a childhood recipe? Everytime I get sick I make up a big pot of Riffle soup. It is not so much that this is what my Mon gave me when I was sick but my family has always had some good times around a good bowl of Riffle soup.

Is this a childhood recipe? Everytime I get sick I make up a big pot of Riffle soup. It is not so much that this is what my Mon gave me when I was sick but my family has always had some good times around a good bowl of Riffle soup.

It is a family recipe! I guess we all have them, huh?
My Nana would make this anytime: sick, hurting, cold, lonely, you name it. My Dad actually smuggled a pot of it into the hospital after my brother was born because my Mom was craving it so much :spm

It's basically pureed tomatoes with salt & pepper, finished with heavy cream, and a klesel is a dumpling made with flour and egg, dropped by spoonful into the soup to cook. I recently found an amazing gluten free flour that really tastes like the 'real deal' so having this was one of those wonderful moments where you are wrapped up and surrounded by the feeling of 'HOME'.

What is in Riffel soup? I'm always interested in what other families have in their much-loved recipe cards.

My mom was born and raised on a farm during the Great Depression, there were nine children. So my grandmother always made food were a little would go a long way. Riffle soup is normally made using chicken broth. We always used cold packed beef, I now use venison. All it is, is noodle soup but instead of rolling out the noodles, you take a couple of cups of flour, make a well, add three or four eggs and stir it up making "riffles". Add it to the boiling broth.

That is the way it was for us growing up, we would have it for all different occasions, always good memories.

Sounds very similar, Julie! Those parents and grandparents are very thrifty people and knew how to make a little go a long way. They were pretty incredible people.

Ray
I hope you and your entire family gets well soon !
I luv those homemade remedies - mine is to make alot of turkey soup the day after thanksgiving and store it up throughout the year. It does seem like it has some sort of healing properties and its just plain feels taste and feels good.

Did a lot of cooking, eating, and sipping this last week.

Tuesday: made pork schnitzel, oven roasted home fries, and Hungarian cabbage salad.

Christmas eve: Made pork tenderloin wellington, cucumber salad, sautéed mushrooms, and rice pilaf.

Christmas: Got a break and had dinner at my brother's house.. Turkey, ham, and all the fixings.

Boxing day: Made a grand slam prime rib dinner. an 11 pound roast, Yorkshire pudding, green beans, sautéed mushrooms, sautéed spinach, and home made apple pie for dessert.

Saturday: gave myself a break. Went out to dinner at 90 acres (rated with 3 Michelin stars) and had a roasted quail ap, venison with ginger snap spaetzle, and a butterscotch pudding for dessert. Had a chateauneuf du pape to go with it all.

Sunday: made a meat sauce with spaghetti.

Tonight: I am stuffed, so it's soup and crackers for me!

I was not good at taking pictures. I wish I had, but here is my entrée from 90 acres...

IMG_20141227_194149_791.jpg

JohnT and Jim, I always shudder when I see that either of you (and Mike in New Mexico) have posted on "What's for Dinner?" I think I gain two pounds just looking at your pictures but I still do. I guess I am kind of like a person who gawks at an accident on the highway or like a moth to a flame. But, keep 'em coming!

Last edited:
Back