What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have spent part of this week in the "Banana Belt" of New Mexico, Las Cruces with some of our BFF's. Night before last we cooked a standing rib roast on the green egg over pecan wood. Yes, this is my secret source for pecan wood as they have a 25 acre pecan orchard. Pulled the beef off at 125 and tented it for about 20 mins while we finished up everything else. We had Yorkshire Pudding made from the au jus and a side of fresh greens salad with fresh berry, pecans and blue cheese crumbles on top. Really thinking I need to expand my grilling capabilities next Spring with a Green Egg once Costco gets them back in stock around April time frame. Its just so darn stable temperature wise even in cooler weather it holds its internal temps amazingly well.

image.jpg

Hungarian sausage :

Please,
Please,
Please,
Please,
Please,
Please,
Please,

give me the recipe for your Hungarian sausage. My father used to make it, but no longer can. There is a meat market that sells it, but it is hard to get to and is never open.

Please,
give me the recipe for your Hungarian sausage. My father used to make it, but no longer can. There is a meat market that sells it, but it is hard to get to and is never open.

Hi Johnt ,
I went to the deli to buy the sausage . I do have a recipe but it is lots of work to make it . I am not sure how much you know about making the Hungarian sausage . I can give you the ingredients and let me know if you need details about making it . For a 10 kg batch : 9 kg meat ( Belly and shoulder ) 1Kg bacon (fat not with meat ) 210 g salt , 220 g Hungarian paprika mix sweet and hot to your taste ,100 g garlic , 25 g ground pepper , 20 g ground cumin , 0.5 liter water and 1 tbsp sugar . enjoy

IMG_20150108_142935~01.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Johnt ,
I went to the deli to buy the sausage . I do have a recipe but it is lots of work to make it . I am not sure how much you know about making the Hungarian sausage . I can give you the ingredients and let me know if you need details about making it . For a 10 kg batch : 9 kg meat ( Belly and shoulder ) 1Kg bacon (fat not with meat ) 210 g salt , 220 g Hungarian paprika mix sweet and hot to your taste ,100 g garlic , 25 g ground pepper , 20 g ground cumin , 0.5 liter water and 1 tbsp sugar . enjoy

Thanks zalai!

I used to make it with my father. I knew that it was a lot of work, and that he also smoked it (cold smoke). My brothers and I were just talking about making some of this "Hungarian candy" and I can not wait to give it a try! Thanks again!

What's a guy to do???

So, the wife was away for the weekend. Two days with the house all to myself! What is a guy to do.....

Get up close and personal with the kitchen.

On Saturday, I made my fried chicken. I have been wanting to make it ever since I read a post by Rayway. My wife has been holding me back. She has this crazy idea that fried chicken is fattening....

This time I took pictures!

I started off by butchering my own chicken. This saves a lot of money since a whole fryer cost me about $6 and one that is already cut up would have cost me around $12.

I put all pieces into a large bowl. I then season the chicken with salt, pepper, ground sage, ground thyme, celery seed, paprika, and old bay seasoning. I then add about 1/4 cup of water (just to get the chicken wet), and mix the chicken up to coat each piece with seasoning. I then put the chicken into the fridge for about 3 hours to let the seasoning soak in, stirring the chicken every so often.

After 3 hours, I take the chicken, and dredge it in plain AP flour. I allow the chick to sit covered in four for a couple of minutes. I then take each piece, shake off as much flour as possible, then put it straight into the oil (my large cast iron skillet with veg. oil heated to 350 degrees).

The trick here is to not play with the chicken once it is in the oil. I fry it for 11 minutes the flip each piece and fry for another 11 minutes. I then take it out of the oil, and have it rest on a wire rack.

I like this method. The chicken comes out crispy, the skin is like tissue paper (not rubbery), while the meat is juicy and delicious!

I served this with a nice cold pasta salad (tri color spiral pasta, chopped raw veggies, olives, in an Italian salad dressing).

IMG_20150110_153534_564.jpg

IMG_20150110_161355_313.jpg

IMG_20150110_150333_435.jpg

IMG_20150110_150328_016.jpg

IMG_20150110_150310_397.jpg

IMG_20150110_150758_034.jpg

What is a guy to do - part 2

Ok, so now onto Sunday.

I have been working on learning how to make good Swedish Meatballs. Yesterday was my latest attempt..

I started out with 3 pounds of "Meat Loaf Mix". This is just equal portions of ground pork, beef, and veal.

To this, I added sale, pepper, nutmeg, a shot of wine, unseasoned panko bread crumbs, and two small onions (chopped fine and sautéed in butter). I then boiled and mashed up 3 small potatoes, and added that to the mix along with 3 eggs.

I mixed the meat thoroughly and set it aside.

I then clarified 2 sticks of butter (melted the butter and skimmed off the butter fat.

I then fried the meatballs in the clarified butter.

To finish, I made some buttered egg noodles, and then cheated on the sauce (I used a dry packet from Ikea).

The meatballs came out tasting very bland. I think that I might have added too much bread crumbs. I Still need to work on this. I am open to any/all comments!

IMG_20150110_200523_450.jpg

IMG_20150110_200541_260.jpg

IMG_20150110_202725_827.jpg

IMG_20150110_212949_592.jpg

IMG_20150110_213833_668.jpg

IMG_20150110_214101_941.jpg

IMG_20150110_215945_613.jpg

IMG_20150111_150835_924.jpg

Hey @JohnT I don't know much about swedish meatballs, but I would suggest getting rid of both the potatoes and the breadcrumbs. I also like to add a shot of soy or Worcestershire sauce to my meatballs.

Looks very yummy though!

Picked up a cheap tenderloin last month and butchered it into steaks, then vacuum sealed in single meal portions. Grilled some up tonight with some asparagus and 'tater tots. Salad not pictured.

I am with you on everything except the tater-tots. I am not a big fan of them, but the wife likes them.

I wanted to do baby red potatoes roasted with olive oil, butter and thyme. I was overridden. :d

But I'm OK with the tots. These have onion and garlic and are pretty yummy.

k2-_825e3885-8c9d-443e-bd95-bd37a0f6722e.v1.jpg

Last edited:
Back