WM81 Fall 2024 Experiments

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it will be interesting to hear about the difference between your wine and @VinesnBines wine. I was surprised by the flavor and assume it is due to the oak chips. I may dial it back.
Just because we both have "medium toast chips" doesn't mean they are the same. Different vendors may do things differently.

My son & I started today's activities by racking the free run wine from 2 containers of Chardonnel, which were fermented on the skins. We grossed about 8 gallons total.

2024-grapes-10-chardonnel-in-glass-tinified.jpg

We reserved 1.5 liters of each batch, as we used QA23 and 71B, respectively. Once the wine settles out, we'll bottle a single 750 ml bottle of each for later comparison. The remainder will be added back into the main batch.

The QA23 is more acidic than the 71B, which makes sense as the 71B eats malic acid. We inoculated with Lalvin 31 MLB, so the two wines may even out.

2024-grapes-12-chardonnel-reserved-wine-tinified.jpg

Pressing 125 lbs of grapes went quickly. We use rice hulls to help with extraction. The two batches will be fully blended later. At this time the separate carboys were topped with pressings.

2024-grapes-11-chardonnel-pressing-tinified.jpg

Overall, we grossed 11.5 gallons of wine, more than expected.

The cake looks tiny after pressing:

2024-grapes-13-chardonnel-cake-tinified.jpg

I can name four reasons for the much extraction. Freezing the grapes, maceration enzymes, macerating on the skins and using rice hulls.

I’m anxious to see how much you get from the Chelois and Chambourcin pressing. Since you are using the pomace with your juice buckets, I assume you won’t use rice hulls. I predict you will get a little more from the Chelois. The skins are thinner.

I can name four reasons for the much extraction. Freezing the grapes, maceration enzymes, macerating on the skins and using rice hulls.

I’m anxious to see how much you get from the Chelois and Chambourcin pressing. Since you are using the pomace with your juice buckets, I assume you won’t use rice hulls. I predict you will get a little more from the Chelois. The skins are thinner.
Spot on!

We won't use rice hulls for the first pressing of the Chambourcin and Chelois. We will use rice hull when we do the second pressing (Pinot Noir buckets + pomace).

Last year we grossed nearly 24 gallons from 2 juice buckets (Sangiovese)+ pomace from 20 lugs. We left a LOT of wine in the pomace. But this is ok, as the Sangiovese is fantastic!

Latest posts

Back