Degassing & Top off

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm Mark and I'm new here and just had a couple of questions.

I received a Winexpert kit for Christmas from my girlfriend's sister. I'm currently making Liebfraumilch.

Everything went smoothly since I've started. I should add that I work full time and go to University full time so I am guilty of procrastinating a little bit. Not usually like me.

There was a few gaps in between early steps that I procrastinated with. A retailer for Winexpert told me that it's not really an issue for quality so I wasn't to be alarmed.

Tonight, I tested my gravity and it was well under the correct amount. I added in my packets and F-Pack and started to stir as stated. I should add that my kit didn't really come with a tool to mix well at this point. It's obviously in the carboy which has a very small entrance. The spoon doesn't fit in, so my girlfriend and I decided to compromise and use the other end of it (After good sanitation of course). This worked, but not well. It can mix fine, but that's it. There isn't enough space in the opening to really give it a good stir. We also stirred the carboy itself which worked a lot better. After a good stir, I used the hydrometer to see how the degassing went. It let out a fizz with pressure, three times.

My temperature is fine so I'm not really sure what the problem is. I'm thinking it's not being stirred effectively. Should I buy the optional mechanism that is sold at the retailer?

Also, when it came to adding the F-Pack in, it told us to remove so much of the wine to make room for it. This, I did not do. There was definitely no need to. Before the F-Pack, my wine is only up to the part of the carboy where it starts to curve up - giving a lot of room for the F-Pack.

I followed all the instructions carefully from the start in terms of amounts, temperatures and gravity. Is this a problem other than I'm not going to have as much wine in the end?

Anyway, as for the degassing - I put the bung back on and put it back into my fermentation area until I figure out what I should do.

CBW:

Welcome to a great hobby, especially for procrastinators like me.

It sounds like you have a glass carboy. Unfortunately, today's glass carboys are oversize by about a litre.

Degassing. The biggest single problem for most new wine makers. Your wine temperature should be about 74F/23C to facilitate degassing. Using the paddle end of your stirring spoon is exactly what you are supposed to do. I find that going back-and-forth (or side-to-side) with the paddle end works better than going round-and-round (manually or with the drill attachment). Others will suggest a vacuum pump, but you might want to wait that expense until you are more committed with the hobby.

Steve

first welcome to the forum. I Have a the same wine I'm getting ready to bottle this weekend. I tried the paddle end of the spoon also but ended up using my carbohydrates brush. Just place in bottle and move up and down rapidly. Worked Awesome. . You will really enjoy this wine...

Thanks all for the info!

I will try the back and forth motion in a little while!

What are some strategies for testing the temperature? As I said before, the carboy entrance is too small for a hand to fit through. What tools do people use to get the thermometer out of it?

Thanks all for the info!

I will try the back and forth motion in a little while!

What are some strategies for testing the temperature? As I said before, the carboy entrance is too small for a hand to fit through. What tools do people use to get the thermometer out of it?

I use stick on temp strips Have them on all buckets and carboys.

Should Have been carboy brush hate auto correct. ..
not so sure about the idea of using a carboy brush to degas....hope you rinsed the heck out of the brush beforehand, otherwise you just might be introducing unwanted soap residue into your wine, even if you are using a cleaner/sanitizing combo agent....rule number one of wine and beer making: SANITATION, SANITATION, SANITATION....just don't want to see anyone ruining any of their precious "liquid gold"....lol...

I Have 3 brushes 1 just for this.. never touches soap. Works great for degassing.

I also had a similar question not worthy of a new thread.

I use a drill attachment (I believe it's called fizz-x) it's a stainless steel shaft that has 2 pieces of plastic on the ends and fits nicely through the top of the carboy. When you spin it (drill it) it butterfly's out and rips through the wine making the C02 come out and up to the top.

Anyhow, I degassed a wine last night and it took a while, seemed like 10-15 mins of drilling on high-speed back and forth, back and forth, etc. There was a lot of foam so I took that as a good thing. It really never ended so I just topped up the carboy (quite a bit because apparently I have an oversized carboy like the OP).

How can you tell when you've degassed enough?

Also, how to you get rid of the foam on top? I just put the bung on so it looks like wine, 2 inch or foam, then the bung. When I see other people secondary's it's nice clean wine/2 inch air space/bung... hope I explained that correctly.

:b

I Have 3 brushes 1 just for this.. never touches soap. Works great for degassing.

ok....good....just checking.....like i said, would hate to see anyone ruin the product of their hard work....:b

Good idea! Any tips for getting them inside the carboy onto the side? I hope this doesn't sound too naive lol

lol, actually that does sound a little naive, but that's ok.....you don't want to adhere them to the inside....you just stick them onto the outside of the carboy and/or your primary fermentation bucket and you are good to go....:b

lol, actually that does sound a little naive, but that's ok.....you don't want to adhere them to the inside....you just stick them onto the outside of the carboy and/or your primary fermentation bucket and you are good to go....:b

Really? On the outside? I just didn't think it could get a good read on the outside because the glass carboy it so thick.

Really? On the outside? I just didn't think it could get a good read on the outside because the glass carboy it so thick.

no....on the outside is where it's supposed to go....glass is a good enough conductor of heat for this purpose....you will get an accurate enough reading....

I also had a similar question not worthy of a new thread.

I use a drill attachment (I believe it's called fizz-x) it's a stainless steel shaft that has 2 pieces of plastic on the ends and fits nicely through the top of the carboy. When you spin it (drill it) it butterfly's out and rips through the wine making the C02 come out and up to the top.

Anyhow, I degassed a wine last night and it took a while, seemed like 10-15 mins of drilling on high-speed back and forth, back and forth, etc. There was a lot of foam so I took that as a good thing. It really never ended so I just topped up the carboy (quite a bit because apparently I have an oversized carboy like the OP).

How can you tell when you've degassed enough?

Also, how to you get rid of the foam on top? I just put the bung on so it looks like wine, 2 inch or foam, then the bung. When I see other people secondary's it's nice clean wine/2 inch air space/bung... hope I explained that correctly.

:b

Matt,
I'm no expert, but have made several kit wines and also have a drill attachment and a vacuum pump. Both work well, although the vacuum is the cat's meow. Anyway, i've digressed - the drill degassers work great and can take some time, or possibly even multiple degassing sessions. The foam should dissipate pretty quickly, after you place the airlock back on the carboy. Regardless of what the instructions say, degassing is one of the most important steps and should be taken slowly. Let the wine sit in the carboy a while and it will degass and bulk age on its own (generally). Most wines need some aging depending on the type, so have patience. Before too long it will look like wonderful wine should and you'll be all too eager to drink it.

Let the wine sit in the carboy a while and it will degass and bulk age on its own (generally).

I have heard others talk about kit wines degassing on their own, while bulk aging. That just hasn't been the case for me. I have bulk aged wines in a carboy with an air lock for 15 months and the gas did not come out on its own. I should note, however, that I bulk age at or below 64F year around. Maybe if the temperature were higher, it might degas on its own some. My personal opinion is that it won't, but that's just me.

Back