Finally! 2024 Winemaking Season Begins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was in Prosser picking up grapes near by, I went to Mercer winery and tasted their Viognier which has a "bright acidity is balanced by a creamy mouthfeel, added by the portion of wine fermented in our clay amphora". They do this to micro ox the wine to bring the creamy mouthfeel. The wine rep must of saw my expression when she stated that they micro ox a white wine. She did state small dose but did not quanitfy. It was one of the best dry Viognier that I have had. She stated that they bought another clay amphora because of the results. Not saying you should do this ...but you might want to visit thier winery. Perhaps they might share more about the process if you like dry Viognier

Any hint of an acetone (nail polish remover) smell? That is often the first indication that a native ferment is kicking off...
Interesting question. I think so - definitely a strong smell like that. It actually freaked me out and I thought this batch was headed in the wrong direction. If so, it's no big deal as this is an experiment...

Update: Just listened to a call from another vineyard. They called this morning but I was bottling three whites (60 cases) from last year and just listened to the message. Started this morning at 8am and finished tonight at 5pm, just in time for the football game. Mourvèdre is ready for pickup. Looks like I'm driving 7 hours, round trip, tomorrow for 1000 pounds. Leave at 5am. I'll post pics...

Last edited:
Update: I noticed fermentation in the Native today. Good news...
Our first native ferment at the winery was an accident it kicked off fast and intensely and scared my business partner who has not made natural wine before. He was panicking but it turned out fantastic and we have a special bottling of that wine.

You will smell weird things as long as it’s not vinegar you are fine

Update: Mourvèdre

Left a little earlier than I was expecting and arrived at the vineyard at 8:15am. I was back on the road at 8:30am and returned home at noon. It takes longer to set up and clean up than the actual crushing of the grapes, which only took about 20 minutes. I'd say the numbers on this are near perfect.

Del's (vineyard owner) numbers:

Brix: 25.2
pH: 3.43

Mine, post crush:
Brix: 25.3
pH: 3.47

IMG_3220.jpegIMG_3221.jpegIMG_3222.jpegIMG_3223.jpegIMG_3224.jpeg

Last edited:

Left a little earlier than I was expecting and arrived at the vineyard at 8:15am. I was back on the road at 8:30am and returned home at noon. It takes longer to set up and clean up than the actual crushing of the grapes, which only take about 20 minutes. I'd say the numbers on this are near perfect.

Mine, post crush:

View attachment 116358View attachment 116359View attachment 116360View attachment 116361View attachment 116362
Great looking fruit!

My winemaking is finally beginning this weekend. I'm working with four vineyards this year for fresh grapes. It's all but certain that grapes from more than one vineyard will be ripe enough to pick on the same day. That's exactly what is happening this year right from the gate. To add to the madness, I'm going to be at Washington-Grizzly Stadium on Saturday, September 21st as the Montana Grizzlies host Western Carolina from Cullowhee, NC for a football game. The only way I can swing it is pulling a trailer to Montana carrying three macro bins and grabbing the grapes on Sunday on my way home.

Grapes this trip, all from Red Mountain AVA but two vineyards:

55g drum of fresh chardonnay (grapes will be picked and pressed on Saturday, then placed in refrigeration)
1/2 ton of Tempranillo (grapes will be picked Sunday)
1/2 ton of Viognier (grapes will be picked Sunday)
1/2 ton Marsanne/Rousanne blend (grapes will be picked Sunday)

I'll post pictures and document the fermentation on all these wines.
The Marsanne/Rousanne sounds great. Love the Southern France runs. You should do a small tri-blend and throw in Viognier. I always appreciate your stories. They are always entertaining and educational.

The Marsanne/Rousanne sounds great. Love the Southern France runs. You should do a small tri-blend and throw in Viognier. I always appreciate your stories. They are always entertaining and educational.
@buzi I did this last year and the M/R blend has some Viognier in it this year too... Here's last year's label 3.5 x 4. Glad you like the stories...2023 Tres Bella .jpg

Next up, Pinot Noir from White Salmon Vineyard near Hood River, Oregon - estimated October 6th. Next weekend will be a bit of a rodeo. On Friday, October 4th I'll be dropping my pickup, loaded with a macro bin, at the airport in Seattle and driving my wife to Missoula, MT. We are going to a football game on Saturday. Montana is hosting Weber State Wildcats from Ogden, Utah. Weber State is pretty tough this year and it should be a good game. Mrs. Crushday is going to stay for the week and needs her car. The following weekend, we are hosting a massive party to celebrate her parents' 60th Anniversary. There's still much to do that week. I'll be flying to Seattle on the first flight on Sunday (5:30am), grabbing my truck and immediately driving to Hood River, Oregon to retrieve the Pinto Noir. There's a chance the grapes will be picked on Monday instead and they'll let me know. Since I work on Mondays, Sunday would be best. However, I have total control over my schedule.

The party is on Friday, October 11 - the day Doug and JoAnn wed sixty years ago.

Left a little earlier than I was expecting and arrived at the vineyard at 8:15am. I was back on the road at 8:30am and returned home at noon. It takes longer to set up and clean up than the actual crushing of the grapes, which only took about 20 minutes. I'd say the numbers on this are near perfect.

Mine, post crush:

View attachment 116358View attachment 116359View attachment 116360View attachment 116361View attachment 116362
That's one Varietal I am excited to try to mae wine with. Those look great!

My crazy story is Hurricane Helene going through and destroying our community in the middle of fermentation. No power, no water, no septic, no internet, no roads, no bridges. It’s not the most important thing considering, but with the help of neighbors, we were able to crush and press 600 pounds of California grapes - often in the dark.

My crazy story is Hurricane Helene going through and destroying our community in the middle of fermentation. No power, no water, no septic, no internet, no roads, no bridges. It’s not the most important thing considering, but with the help of neighbors, we were able to crush and press 600 pounds of California grapes - often in the dark.
Things are REALLY ugly out your way. I'm happy you're safe!

Update of grape schedule for this weekend and early next week:

Just received notice that the Pinot won't be picked until Tuesday next week. They don't have a picking crew on Sunday, as projected. Looks like October 8 is the day for the Pinot.

A few hours later I received an email from the vineyard selling me Syrah. It's going to be ready by this weekend and Cameron tells me the numbers he pulled this morning are 24.0 Brix with a pH of 3.4. They are going to pick Saturday and Sunday. Since I will be in Montana Friday and Saturday but flying home on Sunday, I'll just fly in to Seattle and drive to Pasco, Washington and grab the Syrah. I'll crush those grapes when I get home, approx 3pm.

On Monday, I estimate that I'll be pressing the Tempranillo from earlier in the string. I haven't checked Brix but I'm almost certain it's in the 7-5 Brix range. It will have to sit until Sunday when I'm able to punch again. On Monday I'll press when I get home from my day job. I go to work early and head home after the stock market closes.

Tuesday morning, I drive to White Salmon (near Hood River, Oregon) and grab the Pinot Noir.

Next week, I'm going to try bottling last years Tempranillo and Mourvèdre (Wednesday and Thursday, respectively) and will draw a sample tonight to think about over the next couple of days. I'll be looking for clarity in the wine, tasting and looking for traces of CO2 and overall flavor. Both of these had a finished pH in the 3.8 range and I'd really like to get them in the bottle.

My season is coming to an end.
Did 4 batches this season.

1) 200lbs Zinfadel - had to dump.
2) 200lbs of Cab Sauv - in secondary going through MLF
3) 400lbs of Sangiovese - in two fermenters right now
4) 320lbs of Syrah - just pitched yesterday

I'm rhinking I need to squeeze one more in this month. 200lbs of petite Syrah is calling my name .

Latest posts

Back