froth city

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
6/16/24 added old lees, initial SG 1.068
couple days nothing. around 64F
6/19/24 right up to 82F, still no signs of fermentation
6/21/24 fermentation party, 1.050
6/25/24 1.040
7/2/24 1.032
7/5/24 1.017, racked to 5G carboy
7/9/24 0.998, still roiling fermenting bubble every second or so out the airlock
7/15/24 0.997, no more bubbles in airlock

When to whip it to degas - boil over city, suds went every where. Eventually I stopped whipping it.

Did I do something wrong? Or should I continue with kmeta, sorbate, and Sparkolloid steps to clear it?

Lots of foam means lots of driving force / dissolved gas. When I vacuum degas I start slow as burp a hose on the carboy till enough degassing has happened to let me keep it attached. Degassing is a time related function, if I pull a vacuum tomorrow on a carboy at -23 inches Hg, I can get foam again.

When to whip it to degas - boil over city, suds went every where. Eventually I stopped whipping it.
There's no need to "whip" the wine. A good stirring that produces a small vortex is sufficient. Stir for 1 minute, changing direction half way through. This does not fully degas the wine (not that I'm sure that is a good goal anyway), but it jump starts the process and the wine degasses over the following 2 to 8 weeks, depending on the wine.

Back