Harvest 2024

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked another 61 lbs last night 24 brix 3.6 PH. Am I the only one who doesn't trust their PH meter? Pictures would be about identical to above...

66 lb batch fermenting nicely, 61 lb batch ready to go.

PXL_20240927_012008920.jpgPXL_20240926_223327648.jpg

I'll pick the remaining Tempranillos tonight or tomorrow. A couple of the Malbecs might be ready on Sunday.

I picked another 50 lbs of tempranillo Last friday and 65 lbs of Malbec Tuesday night.

The Malbec was only 22 brix and an absurdly low (for my "vineyard") PH of 2.9. I really think the way I birdnetted some of the vines really slowed down ripening. I trimmed a bunch to get the nets around the vines that were growing over my driveway. I also folded some back in and over other grapes so they would fit. I think I really altered the effective leaf area to grape volume ratio. I picked these particular vines first because they were the most bunched and seemed to not be increasing sugar any more but were getting soft.

Luckily this year has had great grape weather, warm days and cool nights. The remaining Malbecs are also in the 22 brix range but look healthier and are not as soft. I might pick them next weekend since I'll have to leave town for another 2 weeks for work.

I don’t understand the reason for the low ripeness of your grapes. You have approximately the same number of GDD as by me. Are you getting full sun during the day? A cluster of grapes needs only 15 healthy leaves on the cane to achieve ripeness. It is an incredibly small number and is why the French can get by hedging their vines.

Back