Hello everybody.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I know it has been a while since my last post, but I have some time now.

Been doing the retired thing in an area where new wineries are opening every year! Got to know many of the owners and have been spending a lot of time talking wine.

On top of the 30 or 40 wineries in our area, our town has the "purple foot club" that meets monthly (my wife was elected secretary).

I am still making wine, only not as much (500 to 700 liters). I take the trip up to NJ every year for bottle/crush/press season while my family baby sits and racks the wine the rest of the year.

Outside of wine, i have been working on our house on the lake (siding, decking, new furnace, stove, and water heater). I also installed a new dock which allowed me to purchase a reasonably priced deck boat (the "Anielia J"). I have been taking the boat out every week for sunset cruises. so nice!

Then there is the garden. I grew really nice san marizano tomatoes and put up 50 quarts of passata, 30 jars of salsa, and 12 jars of tomato paste. Our town has a canning plant that we joined and have been canning a variety of jams, pickles, pickled jalapenos, red cabbage, apple butter, and chili. I have also gotten into drying herbs (basil, thyme, sage, oregano, chives, and rosemary) all from my garden. I have also been drying hot peppers (cayenne and tobasco) for my own hot pepper flakes and hot paprika. I also have some of the peppers preserved in a brine of vinegar, water, and salt). I will let that go for a year and then use it as a base for my own hot sauce.

On top of all that, I have been getting into cold smoked meats. After several attempts, i now have a great bacon recipe and a great Hungarian kolbaz sausage. Preserved and cold smoked, it can hang in my basement for 4 to 6 months. so yummy. Each and every time i make homemade items, it tastes way better that store bought.

Also, once a week, I have been cooking dinner for the entire street (15 people). It is such a great group of folks.

So, to sum up, I have been busy. I hope that all of you are healthy and happy.

johnT. (the Welches hater)

Good to see you back online @JohnT ! We have missed you! Sounds like your enjoying retirement and life to the fullest!

Last edited:
You have been absolutely missed John. Sounds like you landed in / created paradise. You know the rules though - Pics or it didn't happen.
I'm sure everyone appreciates you making a bit of time for us. ;)
All the best!

Hello folks,

I know it has been a while since my last post, but I have some time now.

Been doing the retired thing in an area where new wineries are opening every year! Got to know many of the owners and have been spending a lot of time talking wine.

On top of the 30 or 40 wineries in our area, our town has the "purple foot club" that meets monthly (my wife was elected secretary).

I am still making wine, only not as much (500 to 700 liters). I take the trip up to NJ every year for bottle/crush/press season while my family baby sits and racks the wine the rest of the year.

Outside of wine, i have been working on our house on the lake (siding, decking, new furnace, stove, and water heater). I also installed a new dock which allowed me to purchase a reasonably priced deck boat (the "Anielia J"). I have been taking the boat out every week for sunset cruises. so nice!

Then there is the garden. I grew really nice san marizano tomatoes and put up 50 quarts of passata, 30 jars of salsa, and 12 jars of tomato paste. Our town has a canning plant that we joined and have been canning a variety of jams, pickles, pickled jalapenos, red cabbage, apple butter, and chili. I have also gotten into drying herbs (basil, thyme, sage, oregano, chives, and rosemary) all from my garden. I have also been drying hot peppers (cayenne and tobasco) for my own hot pepper flakes and hot paprika. I also have some of the peppers preserved in a brine of vinegar, water, and salt). I will let that go for a year and then use it as a base for my own hot sauce.

On top of all that, I have been getting into cold smoked meats. After several attempts, i now have a great bacon recipe and a great Hungarian kolbaz sausage. Preserved and cold smoked, it can hang in my basement for 4 to 6 months. so yummy. Each and every time i make homemade items, it tastes way better that store bought.

Also, once a week, I have been cooking dinner for the entire street (15 people). It is such a great group of folks.

So, to sum up, I have been busy. I hope that all of you are healthy and happy.

johnT. (the Welches hater)
I don't suppose your neighbors house is for sale!

Back