ready to bottle but have a few concerns

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dknowlton

Junior
Reaction score
I have 2 batches that are coming to the end of secondary and I want to be sure fermentation is done before I bottle. I know the possibility of blowing corks is very real, so how do I tell if it's safe to bottle? this is my first time bottling and after tasting the wine using a thief, I don't want to lose a drop because it's fantastic tasting wine. thanks

Check the sg, if is below 1.000 for 3 days it should be done.
If you are really concerned about blowing bottles, make sure that the sg is not changing, the wine temp is 68F or above, and the sg is below 1.000 for a full week, Then add K-meta and potassium sorbate.

Steve

Be sure to check two things: fermentation finish, using the hydrometer, and also clarity. The wine can finish fermenting and still not be ready to bottle. I disdain sediment in my bottles, so if I can't shine a flashlight through it and have the lens look clear and sharp through the carboy, it is not ready yet. A flashlight will show up sediment and haze well!

When fermentation is done and the wine is ready to bottle, I always stabilize with a scant 1/4 tsp potassium metabisulfite and 2-1/2 tsp potassium sorbate per 5 gallons, then wait 3-5 days under airlock to be sure it is finished.

The k meta will innoculate against infection as you transfer, bottle and store, and the sorbate will help preserve the wine in the bottle as well as guarding against additional fermentation should you decide to backsweeten prior to bottling.

The cost of these items is negligable compared to the value of peace of mind, and I have never had a popped cork or exploded bottle. While I have been able through sanitation to skip k meta doses while racking, I never miss the one just prior to bottling.

jswordy said:
Be sure to check two things: fermentation finish, using the hydrometer, and also clarity. The wine can finish fermenting and still not be ready to bottle. I disdain sediment in my bottles, so if I can't shine a flashlight through it and have the lens look clear and sharp through the carboy, it is not ready yet. A flashlight will show up sediment and haze well!.

I really like the flashlight idea, thanks I'll use that next batch. I was wondering if there is any other way to get the clearest possible product in your bottles with the least amount of sediment?? I do usually wait until the wine looks pretty clear due to the sediment falling to the bottom over time before I bottle, but I always seem to have a bit left over in my bottles, I usually just try to pour without stirring it up or just drink it anyway if it's inevitable,.. Is there any other method besides waiting and maybe cyphoning a bit more carefully??

There is a product called super clear that people i now use and works well for them. I personally like to wait it out and let nature take its coarse. You can also check out cold stabilization but this process can be very involved.

Last edited:
Super Kleer works well but I too like to wait on time to do it. I use Super Kleer in rare times when things just will not clear well enough. It will not work on pectin haze, though. Also, if you have shellfish allergies, you should not use Super Kleer. It's made from shellfish byproducts.

Super Kleer works well but I too like to wait on time to do it. I use Super Kleer in rare times when things just will not clear well enough. It will not work on pectin haze, though. Also, if you have shellfish allergies, you should not use Super Kleer. It's made from shellfish byproducts.

Jim although this is true about being made from shellfish, I have yet to hear of anyone having any reactions from it. I realize at this time wineries are not allowed to use it but any that I have asked have not heard of any cases either.

Makes me wonder if it is really as dangerous as peanut products are to certain people.

thanks for the great tips. this forum and all of you are the best resource for home winemakers, and as a beginner, it's priceless! I love it here. we should all get together once a year to swap stories and glassfulls...

Jim although this is true about being made from shellfish, I have yet to hear of anyone having any reactions from it. I realize at this time wineries are not allowed to use it but any that I have asked have not heard of any cases either.

Makes me wonder if it is really as dangerous as peanut products are to certain people.

Yes, it is. Both my wife and I react mildly to shellfish, and I have talked to people who severely react. People with severe reactions can die, and they have died.

Because of my reaction, I only use Super-Kleer when the wine absolutely will not clear any other way. I have 4 packs of the stuff on hand all the time for those rare times, but I know when I drink that wine I likely will have a reaction. It's joint and muscle pain in my case. I had to give up shrimp - which I love - for the same reason.

I kind of doubt it will ever be used by wineries, and if so, I'd bet they will have to label for it like other products containing shellfish do.

Last edited:
Back