Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spanish grapes ? Were are you located ? Rey interested in the out come
San Antonio /TX hill country area. They are the size of a large pea, seedy but super sweet. My one vine produces over two 5 gallon buckets yearly after desteming. I have 4 more vines that should be maturing next year. I obtained it from a small garden center in Bandera TX that has now closed. The owner stated that this variety was local and grows wild in the Chihuahuan desert. Her family has made wine for 100's of years from this grape.
https://www.wine-searcher.com/grape-2045-black-spanish-lenoir Black Spanish is a historic Texas variety of unknown parentage.

San Antonio /TX hill country area. They are the size of a large pea, seedy but super sweet. My one vine produces over two 5 gallon buckets yearly after desteming. I have 4 more vines that should be maturing next year. I obtained it from a small garden center in Bandera TX that has now closed. The owner stated that this variety was local and grows wild in the Chihuahuan desert. Her family has made wine for 100's of years from this grape.
https://www.wine-searcher.com/grape-2045-black-spanish-lenoir Black Spanish is a historic Texas variety of unknown parentage.
Sounds just yummy

Hello, I am getting ready to start a Master Vintner Select Italian Nebbiolo, being a high-end kit should I make it a 6 gal? batch according to directions or reduce it to 5 gal. to increase body and flavor? I have been reading that a lot of people do that.

Hello, I am getting ready to start a Master Vintner Select Italian Nebbiolo, being a high-end kit should I make it a 6 gal? batch according to directions or reduce it to 5 gal. to increase body and flavor? I have been reading that a lot of people do that.
In my opinion, no need to short water or add any sugar to the high end kits. You get a lot of juice with them and they generally result in a decent ABV as well. If you want to tweak these, you might try switching out yeast.

The key is to use you hydrometer it’s your best friend , keep the tweaks light on higher priced kits .
LESS IS MORE , got it .
Secondary is were the game is played , you could add more wine tannins , oak or even raisins ( 1/4 cup ) .
Then let the process start , remember you control the process .
Have fun , it’s not Rocket Science 🧬 🍷

The key is to use you hydrometer it’s your best friend , keep the tweaks light on higher priced kits .
LESS IS MORE , got it .
Secondary is were the game is played , you could add more wine tannins , oak or even raisins ( 1/4 cup ) .
Then let the process start , remember you control the process .
Have fun , it’s not Rocket Science 🧬 🍷
Have fun, stay in touch

Thank you all for the advice, This will be my first high priced kit and I dont want to screw it up.
So read thoroughly first then plan make sure you have all the correct equipment , know the phases and start, keep it simple and have fun ,

Thanks, I am trying to decide what yeast to use, it came with ec1118. I was thinking of using rc212 I know it needs more nutrients, any advice would be appreciated. I want it to come out well.

Thanks, I am trying to decide what yeast to use, it came with ec1118. I was thinking of using rc212 I know it needs more nutrients, any advice would be appreciated. I want it to come out well.
When using RC-212 or any high nutrient yeast, I add 50% more nutrient, 2/3 initially and 1/3 more at 1/3 depletion, e.g., if the OG was 1.090, I'd add more nutrient around 1.060. This is not exact, so don't worry about exact numbers.

The only kits I've made with RC-212 are FWK, and they come with 2 nutrient packs. For a different brand of kit, I'd figure out a 50% batch, e.g., if the dosage is 1 tsp per gallon, that's 6 tsp for 6 gallons, so you want to add 3 additional tsp nutrient. I'd add 1 tsp up front and 2 tsp at 1/3 depletion, with the assumption the kit has normal nutrient for EC-1118, so you give it a little boost up front and a larger boost later.

Before deciding on what yeast to swap for, be sure to check out the more winemaking.com guide to yeast selection. Rc212 isn't one of the recommended for Nebbilio. I think I would go with the AMH or BM45.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back