WineXpert We le portuguese aragones.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinlfifer

Reaction score
Could anyone comment on the WE LE PORTUGUESE ARAGONES.

My local is holding the last one for me.

I am assuming from the lack of any response that nobody even wanted to try this kit.

I've this kit in primary. So, can't say how it will taste in a year or two.

Its an 18L kit. It came with American Light Oak Chips, and French Oak Cubes. No grape pack. The yeast was unique: Lalvin Bourgovin RC 212.

Starting degree Brix was 22, about 1.092 SG.

Fermentation is very active; almost violent. Little foam, but turbulent activity rising to the surface.

I enjoyed Tim's Wine Video, presenting the wine.

And the description on the Winexpert site is appealing:

REGION: Vinho Mountains of Northern Portugal
The Vinho Mountains of Northern Portugal overlook the broad, stormy waters of the Atlantic Ocean, capturing both the heat of the continent and the gentle, cool breezes that pass over them. Here, Aragones reaches its full potential at a high degree of maturity, delivering deep, intense grapes. Cabernet Sauvignon also thrives here, delivering surprisingly classic character.

WINE:
The wine has an aromatic profile of mulberry, blackberry currants, black cherry and cedar—and in time, a hint of rockrose and spice. In the mouth it offers cherry and raspberry, blackberry and plum, with a hint of tobacco competing with the cedar notes, along with subtle vanilla and toast.
Brilliant with lamb, duck, barbecue and aged cheeses, it’s also an excellent wine for sipping on a summer patio by itself.

AGING:
Aragones matures early, making this tempting to drink under six months of age, but a year of patience will be well rewarded with more subtle fruit and developed cedar/spices notes; it will hold well for another two years.

SWEETNESS: Dry BODY: Medium ALCOHOL: 13.5%*
I liked a RJ Spagnols, Winery Series, Spanish Tempranillo Cabernet. Which should be very like the Aragones kit, as Aragones and Tempranillo are the same grape. The Tempranillo Cabernet was drinkable at about 6 months, rare for a Cabernet blend in my limited experience. And it's getting better, now, at a year. Had it recently with Boiled Beef and Horseradish Sauce, and I've enjoyed it with aged cheeses.

The Winery Series Tempranillo Cabernet came with a grape pack, so it may well be a bit better wine than the Aragones will. Guess I'll have to wait a year or two to find out.

Hope that helps.

I am a newbie to this hobby only done 4 kits so far .Like to read what other people like , to make up my mind what to do next . When I went to a local store they had some commercial wine to taste how the kit will be . I didn't like the store bought wines so I didn't buy a kit . I am sure the kits will be better than the store bought wines , that was just a bad sales job . I hope you will be happy with your finished product .

Back