What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonight's dinner was pork scaloppini in a wine/mustard/sour cream sauce. Sauted pork tenderloin medallions with a sauce made from Chardonnay, coarse ground mustard, sour cream, and Herbs de Provence. Mrs. WM81 loved it!

pork.jpg

Note that not all efforts are memorable. Yesterday I tried stuffed tenderloin with a Balsamic/honey glaze. It was ok, but Mrs. WM81 and I agreed that it wasn't worth repeating.

How many of us realize that when we wing it and just throw stuff together, the meal is much better than the carefully planned one?

BTW. Today was National Gumbo Day. Made my infamous gumbo. Out of the box mix, modified with 3 types of sausage, home grown okra, tomatoes and huge fresh gulf shrimp. No pics

How many of us realize that when we wing it and just throw stuff together, the meal is much better than the carefully planned one?
When the kids were small we were stuck in a traffic jam, when we returned home they were extremely hungry, I grabbed pasta, tunafish and mao, boiled the pasta and just mixed the tuna and mayo in. It took about 10~15 mins.

To this day they still ask me to make "Baba's mienmien" this as a "treat". Go figure.

BTW. Today was National Gumbo Day. Made my infamous gumbo. Out of the box mix, modified with 3 types of sausage, home grown okra, tomatoes and huge fresh gulf shrimp. No pics
Nice try! But you know ...... no pics, it didn't happen! 🤣🤣🤣

Celebrated my 66th trip around the Sun yesterday. My first attempt at rack of lamb. Did not suck! Herb crusted rack of lamb, parmesan oven roasted baby potatoes, oven roasted broccolini with lemon. A few bottles of Châteauneuf-du-Pape may have been consumed! :db

IMG_1821.jpegIMG_1822.jpegIMG_1823.jpegIMG_1824.jpeg

Nice try! But you know ...... no pics, it didn't happen! 🤣🤣🤣
20241013_141810.jpg

Left unders. Put into small bowls for single meals

I just got back from a trip to Nova Scotia. My parents have been talking about driving across Canada for as long as I can remember, but they are at that age where it just isn't in the cards anymore. We decided to fly them out, we rented a truck and drove to all the attractions we could think of in NS and Cape Breton. It was a great trip.

We landed Wednesday. Thursday my parents departed, and Friday the inlaws showed up for our traditional Thanksgiving weekend. Their son had hockey today, so it was cut short and they left this morning leaving me alone and pretty wiped out in a quiet house. I did what anyone would do. I tinkered in the kitchen and made a Pho broth from scratch. Beef bones, bison brisket, and short ribs. The short ribs were served in the soup with daikon and medium rare ribeye slices with the usual suspects.

It was from a Youtube video with an authentic Vietnamese recipe that I had found a while back.

Hands down the best I have ever made. Close to some of the best I have eaten. It was a great end to a lot of action. I am ready for a nap.... And no company before Xmas!

pho.jpg

Celebrated my 66th trip around the Sun yesterday. My first attempt at rack of lamb. Did not suck! Herb crusted rack of lamb, parmesan oven roasted baby potatoes, oven roasted broccolini with lemon. A few bottles of Châteauneuf-du-Pape may have been consumed! :db

My, that's one of my favorite meals! If you would have left around dinner time you could have been to my place for Sunday dinner and that could have been my revolution dinner, though I've only gone around 62 times!

Happy Birthday, late!

View attachment 116796View attachment 116797View attachment 116798View attachment 116799
Belated Happy Birthday, Mike. The meal looks great and as one who makes a lot of lamb, you did great.

I love broccolini but it is getting ridiculously expensive here. I pay $4.29 for a bunch about as large as you have on your plate. If you would care to share, how much is it in your area?

We find it at our local Smith's (Kroger) store 10oz sealed bag for $2.99. We served two full bags and only had a few stalks left over.

Screen Shot 2024-10-15 at 2.14.05 PM.png

I love broccolini but it is getting ridiculously expensive here. I pay $4.29 for a bunch about as large as you have on your plate. If you would care to share, how much is it in your area?

Do you have a local Asian market? There are similar vegetables labeled "Chinese broccoli", typically more stem and less florets. For us, relatively inexpensive and a nice change from the typical vegetables.

Happy 62nd Birthday Craig!

1729023824965.png

My, that's one of my favorite meals! If you would have left around dinner time you could have been to my place for Sunday dinner and that could have been my revolution dinner, though I've only gone around 62 times!

Happy Birthday, late!

Latest posts

Back