Why am I bothering to sanitize my primary fermenter ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I disagree, there is a major difference between sanitizing and sterilization. None of us has the tools where we can pressure steam all equipment.

If I am micro testing used equipment I can probably find every organism that is capable of causing an infection. The risk is what barriers (or process rules) am i following. ,,,, ex I am running more apple since trees started producing. This typically finishes at 5 to 8% ABV. ie I have a reduced barrier to infection. As a result the height of other barriers needs to be adjusted. We can then choose do we want to be squeaky clean with low pH of 3.3 max, or pasteurize after fermentation, or refrigerate, or add Bactiless, or set up a Velcorin process, or be squeaky clean on oxygen exclusion, or use killer yeast that out compete bacterial infection, or say a little VA tastes good, or a little Bret tastes normal. etc.

The risk is always there.
I used various sources in defining "sanitizing" in a winemaking context. You're looking at this from a scientific POV, and your statements are correct in that context.

Consider: Theoretically speaking, I am at risk of being struck by lightning or winning the lottery. Realistically speaking, neither with happen to me.

When I'm done cleaning my equipment, the likelihood of a hostile infection in my wine is very low; add in the pH and ABV and the risk is close to zero. After I've used a sanitizing agent, the risk is even closer to zero so I'll just call it zero.

Latest posts

Back