Banana water for low pH mixed berry must

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm starting a blueberry(11#) blackberry(7#) and muscadine(4.5#) wine. Currently have added 8cups merlot kit concentrate and 1 gallon apple juice. Fruit was frozen and was temp is now 60f. Sg 1.042 pH 3.08. Current volume 6.6gal.
My goal is 11-12% abv. pH 3.4-3.6.
Around 6 gal finished.
Using invert sugar syrup to bring up sg. I've read about banana water have the ability to raise pH as well as improving mouth feel.
Now to the question, how do you make banana water and how much can I use to adjust pH without picking up flavor? Planning on pectin enzyme today and 71B pitching tomorrow.

Banana water is made by briefly boiling ripe bananas, letting it cool a bit, then straining. It's something like a lb of bananas to a pint of water. I can't detect banana flavor at 100 ml per gallon but everyone's mouth is different.

Another possibility is potato water. Boil potatoes, save water, make mashed potatoes. The pH is even higher, around 5.5. I don't know if amylase enzyme is needed for the starch but I add a bit just in case.

BTW, potato wine is good!

The process of raising the pH is changing where the salts in the system buffer out. The process depends on which minerals / acids are present so we only know what the end is by trying it as titrating one against the other.
As a very rough guess, if I took a 1:1 banana water with a TA of 0.19% (pH 5.14) an mixed it with blue berry with a TA of 1.54% (pH 3.11) the effect on the mixture TA would be mainly due to dilution. ie Like adding water. Again a rough guess the pH of 1:1 banana and BB might shift from 3.11 to 3.16. ,,, I can increase the effect if I switch to pink lemonade BB with a TA of 0.60% and pH of 3.97. ,,, We only know by trying.

Latest posts

Back