Planting grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickster57

Junior
Reaction score
I am building a trellis and planting some grapes that I started from cuttings. The trellis is on a flat spot next to my yard that has in the past been a hayfield. The ph is 6.0, but that’s all I know. I’ve been mowing it for several years and it grows grass ok.
I recently acquired a trailer load of composted cow manure from a neighbor and was thinking about incorporating some of it in the soil at planting. Is there any danger in doing this? I have a gas powered auger with 8” auger for making the holes and a small tiller for making the holes larger.

Attachments

• IMG_3392.jpeg
    IMG_3392.jpeg
    6.9 MB · Views: 0
I am building a trellis and planting some grapes that I started from cuttings. The trellis is on a flat spot next to my yard that has in the past been a hayfield. The ph is 6.0, but that’s all I know. I’ve been mowing it for several years and it grows grass ok.
I recently acquired a trailer load of composted cow manure from a neighbor and was thinking about incorporating some of it in the soil at planting. Is there any danger in doing this? I have a gas powered auger with 8” auger for making the holes and a small tiller for making the holes larger.
As someone who has been an organic gardener for 25+ years, add the manure, admend it with other organic compost. Then add organic fertilizer. Mix it in and then leave it. That alone will raise the PH. Cover with organic mulch let sit for a month. Then plant the vines.

Got a soil test report back.

Attachments

• IMG_3490.jpeg
    IMG_3490.jpeg
    282 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3491.png
    IMG_3491.png
    122.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3492.png
    IMG_3492.png
    124.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3493.png