Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike, do these chile's have a Scoville Heat Unit measure? If so, what is it?
How spicy is Hatch chile?

Hatch Pepper Roasting — Woodward Corner Market

Hatch peppers can range from 1,000 – 8,000 in Scoville Heat Units – for perspective, they generally fall between the mild spice of a poblano or Anaheim chili pepper and can heat up towards a jalapeno or habanero on the Scoville Scale.

They sell them here in marked boxes. Mild, Medium, HOT, EXTRA HOT. Some seasons they are milder than normal due to heavy rains more than likley. Some seasons are more hot.

How spicy is Hatch chile?

Hatch Pepper Roasting — Woodward Corner Market

Hatch peppers can range from 1,000 – 8,000 in Scoville Heat Units – for perspective, they generally fall between the mild spice of a poblano or Anaheim chili pepper and can heat up towards a jalapeno or habanero on the Scoville Scale.

They sell them here in marked boxes. Mild, Medium, HOT, EXTRA HOT. Some seasons they are milder than normal due to heavy rains more than likley. Some seasons are more hot.
We enjoy this type of Chile stuffed with a bread crumb based stuffing containing black olives, anchovies, garlic, parsley and parmesan cheese. We cut the top off, remove as much of the seeds and veins as we can with a thin boning knife, pipe the mixture into the chile, paint it with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast in the oven at 350-400 degrees F until they get a nice char on the skins. Yum, I am making myself hungry and it is only 10:30 AM!

We enjoy this type of Chile stuffed with a bread crumb based stuffing containing black olives, anchovies, garlic, parsley and parmesan cheese. We cut the top off, remove as much of the seeds and veins as we can with a thin boning knife, pipe the mixture into the chile, paint it with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast in the oven at 350-400 degrees F until they get a nice char on the skins. Yum, I am making myself hungry and it is only 10:30 AM!
Here in the Southwest one of the staple uses for a whole roasted green chile is whats commonly called Chile Relleno. You carefully open the top and de-seed and then stuff the middle of the pepper with your choice of cheese. Then dip into an egg batter and deep fry in a pan until golden brown.

1722092272572.png

1722092463972.png

Well green chile' roasting season has begun in earnest a week earlier than even last year! Once upon a time it happened in late August and was a sign that Fall was just around the corner. Now its late July. They do look spectacular this year. Chile does not like heavy rain. They water sporadically by flooding the rows as needed and the chile fields (the large ones anyways) are all down south in Hatch, NM between Socorro, NM and Las Cruces. Very hot and dry country. You may even find Hatch Chile' now in your neck of the woods in small bags in the produce section. New Mexican's buy large 40lb boxes and have them roasted onsite in a large flamethrower contraption and then take them home in a trash bag and let the sweat and cool for several hours until you can handle them, then put them into quart or gallon freezer bags and store. They will last 12-18mo in the freezer. Just pull out a bag, thaw and put them to use. We put that sh!t on everything as they say!

View attachment 114390

View attachment 114391

View attachment 114393

View attachment 114392
Do they let some ripen? I find if you let hot peppers get ripe the sweetness combines well with the heat.

Do they let some ripen? I find if you let hot peppers get ripe the sweetness combines well with the heat.
So not sure what the % is but I suspect 60% of the chille' is harvested as green. They are considered ripe when harvested. But if you let them hang long enough they will indeed turn red like any chile' pepper including a Jalapeño. When harvested red they are left to dry out completely and then they are turned into Red Chile' sauce. Red chile sauce can be anything from mild to killer hot depending on the variety of the starting pepper. There are literally a hundred varieties of green chile peppers being grown in these parts and they are all bred for different purposes and heat factor is only one. Sorta like wine grapes these days.

Last edited:
So not sure what the % is but I suspect 60% of the chille' is harvested as green. They are considered ripe when harvested. But if you let them hang long enough they will indeed turn red like any chile' pepper including a Jalapeño. When harvested red they are left to dry out completely and then they are turned into Red Chile' sauce. Red chile sauce can be anything from mild to killer hot depending on the variety of the starting pepper. There are literally a hundred varieties of green chile peppers being grown in these parts and they are all bred for different purposes and heat factor is only one. Sorta like wine grapes these days.
I grow pablano peppers and make chili rellenos with ripe peppers… delish.

Picking thornless blackberries is supposed to be relaxing. Now I'm looking everywhere...twice! Don't like snakes!!!!!!!!
I'm sure that was an unpleasant surprise!

And you didn't like it, either. ;)

Some years we have a lot of snakes. I give 'em room and they slither off. I have no personal fear of snakes, but even non-poisonous ones will bite if they are scared.

Some years we have a lot of snakes. I give 'em room and they slither off. I have no personal fear of snakes, but even non-poisonous ones will bite if they are scared.
I know to leave them alone and I'm probably safe but I don't like their habit of saying "Hi!" a foot away from me. I think that little guy was a ribbon snake.

Folklore says copperheads smell like cucumber. I got a strong whiff of cucumber a couple times this year. Nervous and looking everywhere? You betcha!

I know to leave them alone and I'm probably safe but I don't like their habit of saying "Hi!" a foot away from me. I think that little guy was a ribbon snake.

Folklore says copperheads smell like cucumber. I got a strong whiff of cucumber a couple times this year. Nervous and looking everywhere? You betcha!
Getting an unexpected "up close and personal" encounter with a snake is not my idea of fun, either.

The tale about copperheads and cucumbers is folklore. I looked it up.

We have copperheads here, and I think I saw one once (in 30 years). There are several species that resemble copperheads and I've seen them around, although 95% of the time any snake I've seen is a black snake, probably a variety of king snake.

Any time I pick anything off the ground, I'm wary of snakes. Many moons ago I lifted up the cement block that forms our back step (re-purposed base plate for an AC unit), and it looked like the snake pit from Raiders of the Lost Ark! Bunch of baby black snakes, looked like 10,000 of 'em (realistically, probably 15-20, but I was totally surprised). I just backed off and came back an hour later, and they had slithered off.

Last week Mrs. WM81 was going to mow the lawn, so she picked up the downspout splash blocks (ours are some form of plastic) so she could mow through. There was a snake under one of 'em. Needless to say, she didn't pick that one up and had to mow around it. Like you, she's very un-fond of snakes.

A tip for everyone -- keep your lawn mowed, and cut down any tall weeds. In my case, copperheads like tall grass, and if walking through it's very easy to surprise one ... and it will surprise you back, in a venomous sort of way. If there is no tall vegetation, they'll go elsewhere.

Getting an unexpected "up close and personal" encounter with a snake is not my idea of fun, either.

We have copperheads here, and I think I saw one once (in 30 years). There are several species that resemble copperheads and I've seen them around, although 95% of the time any snake I've seen is a black snake, probably a variety of king snake.

Any time I pick anything off the ground, I'm wary of snakes. Many moons ago I lifted up the cement block that forms our back step (re-purposed base plate for an AC unit), and it looked like the snake pit from Raiders of the Lost Ark! Bunch of baby black snakes, looked like 10,000 of 'em (realistically, probably 15-20, but I was totally surprised). I just backed off and came back an hour later, and they had slithered off.

Last week Mrs. WM81 was going to mow the lawn, so she picked up the downspout splash blocks (ours are some form of plastic) so she could mow through. There was a snake under one of 'em. Needless to say, she didn't pick that one up and had to mow around it. Like you, she's very un-fond of snakes.

A tip for everyone -- keep your lawn mowed, and cut down any tall weeds. In my case, copperheads like tall grass, and if walking through it's very easy to surprise one ... and it will surprise you back, in a venomous sort of way. If there is no tall vegetation, they'll go elsewhere.
Don't see many copper heads or rattlers. Have plenty of black snakes and other small constricters like the hog snake. Word is if these are around, you won't see many of the pit viper variety. Seems the constrictors eat them and are 4 times faster.

That is definitely not a Copperhead. My guess would be an Eastern Garter Snake, non-poisonous but will bite if alarmed. Approximately how long was the snake?
No, definitely not a copperhead. Pretty sure it was a ribbon snake maybe 20" in length. And SUPER fast! If I was on the menu I wouldn't have a chance!

One of those things - some "experts" say it's folklore, other "experts" say it's true. Personally, I definitely smelled cucumber, an unmistakable aroma, but I didn't see a snake. For me the issue is still up in the air.

One of those things - some "experts" say it's folklore, other "experts" say it's true. Personally, I definitely smelled cucumber, an unmistakable aroma, but I didn't see a snake. For me the issue is still up in the air.
It makes sense to assume it's true, as there's no downside to believing it. Smell cucumber where it doesn't belong, assume there's a snake, and react defensively.

On the plus side, copperhead bites are very rarely fatal, and they often do not inject venom when they bite. On the down side, one source said copperheads account for the largest percentage of snake bites.

No, definitely not a copperhead. Pretty sure it was a ribbon snake maybe 20" in length. And SUPER fast! If I was on the menu I wouldn't have a chance!

We used to just call them garter snakes. Round eyes, not a threat. They will bite but it'd be minor and they have to be trapped to do it. Otherwise, they run. Most snakes are not aggressive, in fact quite the opposite. They'll run before they strike, even the venomous ones. But there is so much mythology.

On the plus side, copperhead bites are very rarely fatal, and they often do not inject venom when they bite. On the down side, one source said copperheads account for the largest percentage of snake bites.
That's pretty much what I read, too - the average person in decent health won't die...but it will hurt like hell!

I believe we have four poisonous snakes in this part of Ohio. Haven't seen any, don't want to.

I believe we have four poisonous snakes in this part of Ohio. Haven't seen any, don't want to.
about the same in central NC. In 30 years I believe I've seen 1. I say that cautiously as I'm about 90% certain it was a copperhead and not one of the lookalilkes. I see a few of them each year.

Latest posts

Back