What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday was my birthday. I had friends over for beef dip on Saturday to celebrate. I used chuck and it was the most bland piece of meat I have ever eaten. I rotisseried it and gave it the usual love, but to no avail.

In order to use up the leftovers I figured it needed to be a much more aggressive meal. Well, this was the first time I have made Philly cheese steak. I have ordered it, but it was nothing like this. I took notes from the Philly purists preaching the gospel of authentic cheese steak on the web. I can't remember ever hearing as much cursing at the dinner table as tonight, it sounded like we were trying to push for the last mile of a 40 mile marathon just to get one more bite in.

All of the recipes called for ribeye, so I pulled one out of the freezer and threw it into the mix. Served with jalapeno creamed corn (which was surprisingly good), I was sweating by the 3/4 mark and I never crossed the finish line.

The first garden tomato was the most wonderful touch of acid and reprieve from the richness of everything else.

Not for the feint of heart.

I may have overdone the meat helping. I ate it open faced with knife and fork it was so loaded.

1000001661.jpg1000001662.jpg

Last night's dinner was so heavy we decided to go on the light side tonight. The obvious choice.... Paprika Chicken! Cheesecake is light compared to cheesesteak. 😄

This is the third time I have made this and I was distracted the first time. I simmered it for an hour. The second time I went with the recommended 30 minutes. It was good, but not glorious. This time I simmered it for an hour and it was the best yet. I am glad I gave it a shot, I was skeptical. Name brand paprika changed how I see the entire world. 😆
1000001664.jpg

Kids gave me a 36" griddle for Father's Day. I've cut more onions in the last two months than all my previous years.
Smash burgers, tacos, burritos, chicken, sausages, hot dogs, fish. And all the heat and mess stays outside.
Have yet to do breakfast. Now looking at options for getting a roof over it.
Would have never thought of buying a griddle for myself, but now highly recommend.

Kids gave me a 36" griddle for Father's Day. I've cut more onions in the last two months than all my previous years.
Smash burgers, tacos, burritos, chicken, sausages, hot dogs, fish. And all the heat and mess stays outside.
Would have never thought of buying a griddle for myself, but now highly recommend.
That's so funny, I bought a small griddle (Lodge) for the grill yesterday and made smash burgers on it for the first time. Wifey loved them so much they will most likely become a weekly meal (used chuck this time, might try some ground chicken next time).

They sell bbq covers made of tin that have a shelf for food and supplies. My neighbor has one, I'm guessing 6x4, maybe 5x7. It works well.

You have to do breakfast. You can make the most amazing eggs, perfect bacon, and hashbrowns? Grate up 1/4 cup potato per crisp. flatten out, put your griddle press on it. Use lots of oil or bacon fat. flip, season with salt and pepper, cook till crisp, but soft in the middle. Top with cheese.

Oh my.. It's good. I might have breakfast for dinner!

Last edited:
I thawed a pork shoulder, and Mrs. WM81's face lit up -- "Pulled pork!"

Not quite -- Carnitas. The difference is I browned the roast before putting it in the crockpot, deglazed the pan with Vidal, and seasoned with Pampered Chef's Carnitas Seasoning.

When she got home from work, I was making masa harina tortillas, which I haven't made in 6 months. Her eyes lit up even more.

Today she discussed corn tortillas with a coworker, and commented how commercial corn tortillas taste sort of like cardboard, only nasty. Fresh tortillas are totally different, and easy to make. Just takes time.

pork-1.jpg

pork-2.jpg

pork-3.jpg

Yesterday was my birthday. I had friends over for beef dip on Saturday to celebrate. I used chuck and it was the most bland piece of meat I have ever eaten. I rotisseried it and gave it the usual love, but to no avail.

In order to use up the leftovers I figured it needed to be a much more aggressive meal. Well, this was the first time I have made Philly cheese steak. I have ordered it, but it was nothing like this. I took notes from the Philly purists preaching the gospel of authentic cheese steak on the web. I can't remember ever hearing as much cursing at the dinner table as tonight, it sounded like we were trying to push for the last mile of a 40 mile marathon just to get one more bite in.

All of the recipes called for ribeye, so I pulled one out of the freezer and threw it into the mix. Served with jalapeno creamed corn (which was surprisingly good), I was sweating by the 3/4 mark and I never crossed the finish line.

The first garden tomato was the most wonderful touch of acid and reprieve from the richness of everything else.

Not for the feint of heart.

I may have overdone the meat helping. I ate it open faced with knife and fork it was so loaded.

View attachment 115113View attachment 115114
happy born day - eh
my fellow Canuck!

Last night Mrs. WM81 requested pork souvlaki. We have several recipes that work, but the one she wanted was called "Traditional Syrian Shish-Kebab", designed for lamb. 1/2 cup olive oil, 4 tsp allspice, 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp ground black pepper. It works great for pork tenderloin.

Normally we do this in chunks, but since I didn't have 24 hours to marinate the meat, I pounded it into scalopine. This provided more surface area for the marinade. When I threaded it onto the skewers, I bunched the meat up so it was like in chunks:

pork 1.jpg

Plus mushrooms. Gotta have mushrooms. But I forgot onion. Dang!

pork 2.jpg

pork 3.jpg

Dang........

Best Ribs in some time as usually they are not the main entree but a side so they don't get as much attention as say a brisket and they compete for surface space. These were perfect 3-2-1 ribs Cooked at 225F the whole time. Fall apart tender with just a little pull left on the bone. No complaints from the cook or the crew!

IMG_1671.jpeg

Back