WMT (Unofficial) Strawberry Coastal White Wine Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pjd, too much clothing on that label. :)

I still have this cold hanging on. Day 19. Not bad now but still snotty and not quite feeling great. So I postponed until maybe this coming weekend playing with the contest wine.

I racked, added more goodies, talked the wife into tasting and she's liking it so far. I forgot to take any pics until I was half way through racking so here's a quick shot. It looks so colorful in the carboy but then orange in a bottle and even lighter in a glass. I guess being made of a majority of white wine would have something to do with that though. I've also got 2 full pages of notes, ingredients and my timeframe to make this up, guess I'll have to make an abbreviated version WHEN I win it.

PJD, nice label - Dave, posting the recipes is a great idea - Jim, kick that cold will ya

IMG_0332.jpg

It does look good in the carboy, Kraffty. Mine has turned out a bit darker. I've still got voodoo going on in mine, so I'm holding off on the pictures for a while yet.

the flavor change this stuff goes through is quite drastic, its totally different today in comparison to last week, looks about like mine though kraffty

for sure, its totally different i was quite amazed when i tried it last night, even my wife was like what wine is that its still good just very different from a week ago

how about this for the next wine, use the kit and create the dreaded watermelon ive been wanting to do a watermelon just to see how terrible it can be

We had a mass wine tasting in the Lab last night. I've got seven wines nearing bottling time, with the Fat Flamingo amongst them.

I've got to say...you guys are in big trouble! You best step up your game! :gb

In the past, strawberry wine---in whatever form---has been my nemesis. This one is going exactly as planned. I am very pleased. My guess is, the judges will be, too!

I feel for the rest of you. I really do! :i

Got mine done Sunday. No further action is needed except to bottle sometime down the line. In fact I have three wines I finished up Sunday, so now it's time to prepare a boatload of bottles.

At what point do I remove the green tops from on the strawberries in my juice. I racked off the Lees but left the tops in there. Is that bad? Is it ok to add rhubarb to this or will I be disqualified.

Is it ok to add rhubarb to this or will I be disqualified.

I do not see why rhubarb would disqualify, some have indicated they have added bananas, etc. I would think as long as the primary components are kit + strawberries we are good to go? May be something to consider for future kit competitions, ie no less than 75% of added fruit/juice can be that of the declared flavor (strawberry in this case), or along that line anyway.

I do not see why rhubarb would disqualify, some have indicated they have added bananas, etc. I would think as long as the primary components are kit + strawberries we are good to go? May be something to consider for future kit competitions, ie no less than 75% of added fruit/juice can be that of the declared flavor (strawberry in this case), or along that line anyway.

:) @ Dan.

Yep, Sara, two rules to this contest:

1.) Must use the Coastal White kit.
2.) Must use strawberries.

That's the beauty of it.

I love it Dan! Keep mocking the competition untill you sample mine, The only real competition is Jim with that darn fly in the carboy!

I don't have anything to enter, but boy, I sure am enjoying all the trash talk. You guys are great!

Back