WMT (Unofficial) Strawberry Coastal White Wine Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my only fear with this is it may still be a bit hot come judging time, tastes great right now though, i plan to pick up another galss carboy tonight so i can rack this again, not a ton of lees but enough and i wanna pull every drop of this out that i can.

Now I'm kind of worried. I could park a car with it's bright beams on behind my carboy and barely see a glow though the wine. It smells great and tastes like it's on track but it's so opaque. Guess I shouldn't have stuffed it so full of awesomeness! At least I have 15 or 16 weeks to deal with the esthetics, this IS a tasting - not beauty contest... right??? Pictures coming when I rack on Memorial weekend. By then maybe I can find a bottle of strawberry wine to taste and compare this with. I'm really flying by the seat of my pants cluelessly and just trying to make something that ends up tasting good.
Mike

i hear ya mike, I wouldn't worry did you add more pectic enzyme? i tossed in more pectic and some more bentonite to get mine to where its at now, it was as you described before i did that after about a week or two now that's what I have to show for it. i had both in primary to start with but it wasnt even showing signs of clearing a week or so after tossing the in chitosan or whatever was in the kit.

It's isinglass in the kit, and that should have cleared it for you. It did for me. Sorry, I have a big farm auction sale coming this weekend so I am currently too busy to mess with wine pix.

Did you put your strawberries in a bag? Did you just freeze them and then toss them in the bag whole? That's what I do. It keeps all the strawberry "gunk" from getting in the wine. Then I press the berries in the bag after removing them from the wine. If you steam them or mash them up, that makes it much harder to clear the wine and you do not get any flavor advantage, IMO.

Howdy all, Happy upcoming Memorial day weekend. After a couple of weeks of forced patience my carboy is clearing finally. I'm racking this weekend, making some minor adjustments if needed then plan to rest it for 3 months, bottle at end of August so it can rest through September and be ready to send off in October. Based only on my guess that I'm probably the least experienced in this group I'm thinking the Judges are in for a real treat. If the other wines taste as good or better than what I've got so far they are going to have a party! Pics coming Monday.
Mike

if the heat clears off mine some more its gonna be a dog fight with us all i do believe :D

I'll be messing with mine this weekend or next, too. I have had a nasty 16-day cold and so my palate is all messed up and there's no need to be working in it without a functional sense of taste. When that clears, I'll play a bit.

I need to get 10 gallons of blueberry blend started off, too, so I can clear my equipment for the coming Norton harvest in July. Work, work, work...

I'm with Jim. I've been under the weather this week, and have not been touching my wines. My Fat Flamingo will get some special voodoo treatment this weekend, though. I'm glad everyone's is coming along nicely. I'm on about the same schedule as Kraffty.

Starting the first of July, we will have to come up with a wine to make for the next quarter---ending with a judging in January 2014. This was kind of an impromptu contest to start with, so how does everyone think we should decide what to make next?

well a bunch of us have another of these kits laying around how bout a different fruit :D

I'd like to add one more requirement (or rule) to this contest. It came to me last night. Since we are all here to make better wine, the winner must post and share their recipe. Does that sound ok, everyone?

I was thinking, "If I don't win this, I want to know how the winner made theirs!"

So, take good notes, winemakers! If you win, we all want to know exactly how you did it!

Agreed?

:u Yesterday, I moved on the Fat Flamingo. Flavors are infusing; hopes are high. Next month I'll determine back sweetening. Then, sit for a month. Filter and bottle in August. Ship out late September.

Without a doubt, our judges are in for a TREAT!

Last edited:
I added the second of three secret weapons to mine yesterday! Exactly what should I name my award winning coastal white strawberry wine? Now to figure out the label!

dangerdave said:
I'd like to add one more requirement (or rule) to this contest. It came to me last night. Since we are all here to make better wine, the winner must post and share the recipe. Does that sound ok, everyone?

I was thinking, "If I don't win this, I want to know how the winner made theirs!"

So, take good notes, winemakers! If you win, we all want to know exactly how you did it!

Agreed?

!

I would really appreciate it the winner would post a recipe. That would be awesome.

for sure on the recipe I figure i will post it anyway there is nothing special here at all though nothing to hide, it would for sure be worth while to get this other kit i have out of the house since i have no better plans for it.

Ok. I know I should be working but I need to come up with a label for my winemakingtalk.com competition. Here is my first draft. Any suggestions?

Strawberry Blonde.jpg

PJD,
Wish I had just a bit of the talent it takes to put something like that on the computer. Can you see the jealousy oozing out of the computer screen? Nice work. Arne.

Back