scratch wine/degassing????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ippymiss

Reaction score
I just purchased a book of recipes, it called "the winemakers recipe handbook" it has over a 125 recipes in it...they all seem pretty straight forward and easy enuff to follow...only question I got in all the recipes and all the steps, and the steps are pretty detailed they never mention stirring hard to remove the gasses...they say stir daily easy when in in the primary, but they never a mention about degassing and stirring to remove the gasses...any help or suggestion would be greatful....thanks.... Edited by: Ippymiss

I have to admit...I have never de-gassed a wine....Have never seen bubbles for any lengh of time, except during fermentaion...and...have never had fizzy wine..except for the Sparkling wines we make...

Don't know what I am doing wrong not to have gassy wines like everyone else....?I only make fruit wines...think I have seen others degassing fruit wines...so...wondering...am I waiting too long and miss out on all that fun???

In the wine expert kits, when it comes to the part of stirring, you do get alot of gasses escaping the wine as you stir, happens everytime . I just do not know why scratch wine recipies do not mention this in my book. Making a apple juice wine now, that has alot of fizz, just wondering if I have to stir vigoresely (sp), or just let it go?. As the same as the other recipies in the book. stir, not stir, when to stir or leave be?
smiley29.gif

Not sure if you are missing our on all fun but if it aint broke dont fix it...lol

The main difference is timebetween the completion offermentation to bottling since wine will essentially degas itself over time. I would bet your wine making book tells to leave the fruit wines alone for months not just weeks as with wine kits. Edited by: masta

I always rack when fermentation is done then rack, wait two months,
then rack again and degass and wait another 2 months, At that point I
degass again and clear if needed, Then I k-meta and stabilize and
sweeten and bottle.

Back