What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chorizo Borscht

2 lbs sliced cremini mushrooms sauteed in butter, 15 organic homegrown roasted beets, organic onions, 2.5 lbs chorizo sliced, 1 litre salt free beef stock, tamari, spicy pepper medley, fresh diced homegrown organic potatoes, 1/2 of neighbour's organic green cabbage, fresh homegrown organic lemon thyme, oregano, lovage, whole bouquet of cilantro (store bought) and purple sage. Heavy duty and spicy. I'll make it again. It tastes like a Mexican version of borscht.

Last edited:
Made Taco Salads with left over chuck roast. Made the shells from flour tortillas in the oven. First I filled with refried beans and jack. Second layer was beef mixed with green chiles then cheddar. Third topping was the lettuce, tomato and red onion and finally a dressing made up with mayo, sour cream, tomato juice, sriracha and S&P.
Beans.jpegMeat.jpegfinished.jpeg

Made Taco Salads with left over chuck roast. Made the shells from flour tortillas in the oven. First I filled with refried beans and jack. Second layer was beef mixed with green chiles then cheddar. Third topping was the lettuce, tomato and red onion and finally a dressing made up with mayo, sour cream, tomato juice, sriracha and S&P.
View attachment 114104View attachment 114105View attachment 114106

Even though I just had a delicious, satisfying dinner, I salivated involuntarily upon reading your post! :p

Looks great!

About 25 years ago Budweiser used a group of radio commercial, "Men of Real Genius". The commercials poked fun at various things while hawking beer.

This one was one of my favorites:

Last week my younger son sent a recipe for lamb shish-kebab -- supposedly Greek, it calls for the juice & zest of 2 lemons plus a large number of other seasonings. I tried it Sunday with pork tenderloin -- we often make shish-kebab with pork tenderloin as it's a lot cheaper than lamb AND it's a LOT less work cleaning the tenderloin than a leg of lamb.

We didn't like it. The lemon was way too dominant, and overall it was less flavorful than our usual marinades.

I have considered that while the normal lamb marinade we use (4 tsp allspice, 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp ground black pepper) works fine with pork tenderloin, it may be that the pork is too mild to handle the lemon.

That said, I had it for lunch 3 days in a row. Ran out of mushrooms and onion on Monday, so I made Tzatziki on Tuesday. Love that stuff!

souvlaki.jpg

It's Friday! Fish day!

Since my wife passed her nursing boards and started a new job, she's rarely around for dinner (7am-730pm today, 7pm-7:30am other shift). So, not so fun (especially when she goes on overnights soon, haven't slept w/o her for 30+ years for more than 2 nights in a row).

BUT, there is a good side. She doesn't like fish, she doesn't even want to be in the house when I cook it, so I can start having it a bit more. Fish tacos tonight, some cod that was reasonably priced. Coated with some seasoning and pan fried till it was almost falling apart. Served with some mango/jalapeno salsa and a crema fresh w/chipotle spices.

Yum!

7-19-24_fish-taco.jpg

Sorry, all out of corn tortillas, so flour had to do...

Edit: Opened a 9 month old homebrewed IPA I made for my Son's visit back in December. Guess the head retention held up...

7-19-24_IPA.jpg

Last edited:
BUT, there is a good side. She doesn't like fish, she doesn't even want to be in the house when I cook it, so I can start having it a bit more. Fish tacos tonight, some cod that was reasonably priced. Coated with some seasoning and pan fried till it was almost falling apart. Served with some mango/jalapeno salsa and a crema fresh w/chipotle spices.

Edit: Opened a 9 month old homebrewed IPA I made for my Son's visit back in December. Guess the head retention held up...
Looks great, haven’t done fish tacos in forever, thanks for the nudge

It's Friday! Fish day!

Since my wife passed her nursing boards and started a new job, she's rarely around for dinner (7am-730pm today, 7pm-7:30am other shift). So, not so fun (especially when she goes on overnights soon, haven't slept w/o her for 30+ years for more than 2 nights in a row).

Yum!

View attachment 114191

View attachment 114192
I like fish. And I like tacos. But I cannot understand the appeal of the two together. Even worse than pizza with ham and pineapple! 🤢

Mrs. WM81 requested mac-n-cheese, which we haven't made in a while. In the late 70's when my parents purchased their first microwave oven, my mom purchased the Better Crocker Yellow book, the microwave cookbook. I've been using the mac-n-cheese recipe from it ever since.

The recipe calls for 2 cups of elbow macaroni, which I scaled up to 1 lb pasta, and will use pretty much anything (shells, rotini, etc.). Last night we needed 12 oz cheese and had an 8 oz block of extra sharp cheddar. Digging through the drawer we had a small amount of Havarti, plus a bit of shredded "Mexican blend" and "Italian blend" cheeses. It came out great!

mac-n-cheese.jpg

Yesterday morning my son & his girlfriend helped me bottle a Metheglin/Cyser, and I had 3/4 of a bottle as the remainder. It went well with the dinner.

Back