Degassing Country Wines?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyg354

Reaction score
Would I do this the same as a grape wine? Stir vigorously for 2 minutes, then add potassium sorbate and clearing agent? Also if I am adding some sweetener to my wine I would do this after the potasium sorbate correct, but before the clearing agent? Should I let the potassium sorbate disolve and work for a day or two before back sweetening and clearing?

Going to take more than two minutes to degas any wine. But where sorbate goes you need k-meta or you will have bottle bombs. You can backsweeten at the same time you stabilize with sorbate and k-meta. I do not use clearing agents.

Instead of trying to retype how I do my country wines I'll post the link to the steps I use. Link

Could I use Campden instead of K-Meta? If so what you are saying is use Potassium Sorbate/K-Meta or Campden in a combo when stabilizing?

In response to Scottyg354's question about whether to degas country wines in the same way as grape wines, I just read a paper published in Food Chemistry (2006) volume 95, pps 541-553 where the authors discuss how more protein in the wine results in the wine trapping and holding more dissolved CO2 and so such wine presumably requires more degassing

I always stabilize with meta and sorbate and clarify, I wait until after clarified to back sweeten.
I had one batch re ferment on me when I added meta, sorbate then back sweetened right away. Lessen learned.

+1 to what pumpkinman said about sorbate/meta then clear, rack, then backsweeten. Now that I have a brake bleeder hand vacuum I will be using that after stirrer degassing. Works great.

Back