Extracting Juices

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyg354

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I have been making some country/fruit wines out of vinters harvest premade juices and would like to step up and pretty much make my own juice. Question is can I do this with out a press? can it be down by chopping fruit and using some additives to break down the fruit? I am fairly new to this and would like some pointers if all possible.

Hey Guys, I have been making some country/fruit wines out of vinters harvest premade juices and would like to step up and pretty much make my own juice. Question is can I do this with out a press? can it be down by chopping fruit and using some additives to break down the fruit? I am fairly new to this and would like some pointers if all possible.

You could use a steam juice extractor

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di66pPDFD_g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di66pPDFD_g[/ame]

RR

Next question, sorry hahah. If I were to use the steam juicer method. Say I use 35-40 pounds of fruit for a 5 gallon batch. I would still need to top up with sugar and water correct? Similiar to how I do my Vinters Harvest wines?

Stronger flavored fruits you could do that, but lighter more delicate fruits you would want to use straight juice. You can slice the fruit up, freeze it, then thaw it out and start your wine . I would put it in a mesh bag to contain all the fruit. You'll have to use an hydrometer to get your SG where you want it, then check and adjust the acid levels.

BOB

6-8 lbs per gallon is about the normal amount most people use.

fivebk said:
Stronger flavored fruits you could do that, but lighter more delicate fruits you would want to use straight juice. You can slice the fruit up, freeze it, then thaw it out and start your wine . I would put it in a mesh bag to contain all the fruit. You'll have to use an hydrometer to get your SG where you want it, then check and adjust the acid levels.

BOB

+1 on the mesh bag. That's how I do it.

Don't forget to add pectic enzyme. Otherwise you'll end up with hazy wine.

+1 on the mesh bag. That's how I do it.

Don't forget to add pectic enzyme. Otherwise you'll end up with hazy wine.

So basically freeze the fruit. Thaw. Put in a mesh bag and put it in 5 gallons of warm water, along with pectic enzyme, campden, sugar, yeast nutrient and whatever else?

scottyg354 said:
So basically freeze the fruit. Thaw. Put in a mesh bag and put it in 5 gallons of warm water, along with pectic enzyme, campden, sugar, yeast nutrient and whatever else?

If you are making a 5 gallon batch, top up to 5 gallons in your primary, you'll get a lot of juice from those berries. I am guessing you'll need 2.5 maybe 3 gallons of water, no more.

Back